simcoe hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
i'm gonna have an extra oz of simcoe hops. what kinda of beers are these used for? i'm brewing the groom lake ipa off the byo web. their hop chart doesn't have any reference for them. just bittering and aroma?

Simcoe has a very piney taste and aroma. Its bittering properties are not as strong as its flavor and aroma properties. It is easy to overuse Simcoe. I would pick a good bittering hop such as Columbus or Chinook and use 1/2 oz. simcoe at the last 15 minutes and the other 1/2 ounce at flame out. For specialty grain I would use 1/2 lb of 60L crystal and make a nice pale ale.

Forrest

thanks for the reply, just ordered some stuff from the ahs octoberfest sale. woohoo! i was eyeballing a pale recipe last night. looks like i'll probally lean that way. i also have an abundance of cascade, centenial, amarillo and magnum. hmmmm, what will i do??? :mug:

I just threw an oz of simcoe on top of my IPA in the secondary, I can let you know how it turns out... in ~3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back