Help formulating a recipe (white IPA-ish?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbblaine

Reaction score
I'd like to brew a beer with the following qualities:
Medium alcohol content (anywhere between 4-6%)
Kind of spicy (this can be done with a certain kind of hops I think?)
Light in color
Balanced, but a tad on the "hoppy" side

I guess I'm kind of describing something like that Conflux #2 that Deschutes here in Portland makes Conflux No. 2 | Deschutes Brewery

The only information it really has about Conflux #2 is that it is 7.3% abv and 60 IBU. Basically I want to brew something a little lighter on alcohol and bitterness...

If anybody has suggestions for a good recipe to start with, I'm listening.

Ha, I just finished formulating a recipe for a "white IPA" a few hours ago.

I was looking for something that has a color and malt character similar to that of a witbier but with lots of citrusy/tropical hop flavor and aroma. And for some spicy, fruity yeast character I am going to use the wy3522 'Ardennes' yeast, which also makes a great Belgian IPA.

Here is what my recipe looks like so far:

O.G: 1.060, F.G: 1.008-12, 50 IBU, 4 SRM.

85% Pale malt
10% White wheat malt
5% Cara-pils

Hops are chinook at 60min and 0.75oz of citra, ahtanum, and amarillo in at 15min, flameout, and dryhop.

I am still debating if I want to add some coriander and orange peel to the boil for additional complexity. Probably will end up leaving the spices out, although I like the grainbill and hop selection. Might move the bittering to FWH. I bet something like this could scale down pretty well and/or be fermented with a more neutral yeast like wy1056 or S-05.

Thanks for the input! That sounds great, actually. I just changed some minor things and formed a 1 gallon recipe that I will brew soon and see how it goes.
Hopville . "White IPA"

This should come out to about 45 IBU and 6% abv.

My beer that I made using that recipe looks pretty brown when according to calculations, it should actually be very light in color. Right now it is still in the primary, so is it normal for a lighter beer to look brown still during this stage, or will it get lighter when I clarify it more?

Beer always looks darker in the fermentor, mostly due to the amount you're looking through. When you pour it it will be much lighter. I freaked out when a batch last year looked black in the fermentor but it poured a nice amber.

Although there is a beer style similar to a wit that is much darker because they would boil it 4-6 hours! That's probably not your problem.

I brewed my version the other day, though I tweaked the recipe a bit. Went with pale, pilsner, and some wheat malt with the ardennes yeast. Probably wont turn out "white" but the color should be right around 4 srm. It does look darker in the fermenter than it actually is. Hopping was the same.

I just added some gelatin so I can rack to secondary soon. It looked pretty light when I took a gravity sample so that's great! It also tastes spicy and citrusy, which is amazing. Can't wait to drink this stuff!

Ha, I just finished formulating a recipe for a "white IPA" a few hours ago.

I was looking for something that has a color and malt character similar to that of a witbier but with lots of citrusy/tropical hop flavor and aroma. And for some spicy, fruity yeast character I am going to use the wy3522 'Ardennes' yeast, which also makes a great Belgian IPA.

Here is what my recipe looks like so far:

O.G: 1.060, F.G: 1.008-12, 50 IBU, 4 SRM.

85% Pale malt
10% White wheat malt
5% Cara-pils

Hops are chinook at 60min and 0.75oz of citra, ahtanum, and amarillo in at 15min, flameout, and dryhop.

I am still debating if I want to add some coriander and orange peel to the boil for additional complexity. Probably will end up leaving the spices out, although I like the grainbill and hop selection. Might move the bittering to FWH. I bet something like this could scale down pretty well and/or be fermented with a more neutral yeast like wy1056 or S-05.

Any updates on this?
Just found this thread because I am trying to put an extract recipe together along the lines of a White IPA. Interested to hear how yours turned it out.

Back