just brewed the midwest supplies pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to add more pumpkin spice. I am already planning on adding a few cinnamon sticks and some vanilla extract to the secondary carboy when I rack.

When should I add the spice? Now (almost 2 weeks in primary)? When I rack to secondary? At bottling?

here's the recipe, the short non-detailed version. I photo documented the whole process so if u want i can email you a slideshow of how it all went down..

The main key i've found in Pumkin brews:

1 use alot of pumkin, alot...
2. put the spice in the pumkin before you bake it so that the spice carmalizes with the pumkin, makes a huge difference in end flavor..

Made starter 72 hrs ahead of time with 2 cups water, 1 cup Wheat DME

Great Lakes Clover honey,Pure Vanilla extract, 120oz Libbey’s pumkin (ruthless amount of pumkin), 5 gal Spring water + 3 extra water bottles to make up for evaporation

1. Bake 120oz pumkin mixed with 1Tbsp PP spice at 350 for 60-90 mins to carmalize
2. steep grains at 155 for 30 mins – let rest for 10 mins
3. Add 25% of Malt, 1 cup brown sugar, and 75% (3/4oz) Mt Hood- 60 mins
4. 1 tsp irish moss – 15 mins
5. Add pumkin, remaining malt, 1oz Cascade, 10 cloves. Boil for 5
6. 1 Tbsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp of pumkin pie spice, and 1lb Honey- after flameout
7. chiller
8. Take gravity reading, pitch at 70- OG 1.048
9. ferment 2 weeks – between 64-67
10. Add 1.5 oz Vanilla (3 Tbsp) to secondary, age 2 weeks
11. Bottle

Can you email me the slideshow you have? Your inbox is full, haha. [email protected]
It sounds freakin' delicious and although I am starting too late for this season I think I will do it early next year so it has plenty of time in the bottle and will peak (hopefully) right around next Halloween. Thanks for sharing!!

Umm... why not select the text, right click and copy this then go into your email, paste it into a new email, and send it to yourself? :confused:

Rev.

Sorry, I was talking about the slideshow he has with more details. I thought if I put that in the Title of the reply that it would show up and he knew what I meant. Thanks for letting me clear that up!

Sorry, I was talking about the slideshow he has with more details. I thought if I put that in the Title of the reply that it would show up and he knew what I meant. Thanks for letting me clear that up!

LOL, my bad then. I was just like, "Huh?" heh. Cheers man :mug:

Rev.

ampsman said:
I had put the pumpkin straight into the wort for the last 5 minutes of the boil, I didnt use a bag for it, so yes there was pumpkin in there.
I didnt even think about that when I was topping off. DOHHHHHHH!!

I did the same! I had 120oz in primary and when I bottled I only ended up with 3 gallons from 1 and just shy of 4 from the other, I did 2 batches back to back. Next time I'll add more top off water.

Apologies my friends i've been MIA for over a year from here ( been consumed with obtaining my CFP). I popped a bottle of the Pumkin from the cellar tonight and thought i'd check out this post, because this brew turned out friggin awesome. Has only got better with age, mellowed out big time, but oooh so smooth and silky on the tongue. Honestly can barely taste the pumkin at this point, getting subtle spice flavors and creamy malt. Easily my best brew along iwth my mad elf clone. In my brew diary i've noted changes to make for my next batch, which i'll be brewing this winter. I may use a spice tea in the secondary on top of everything else, still debating. Spice really mellowed out big time over the last 15 months. Still a classic recipe, def a go to every other year. Still have 6 deuces in the cellar and am interested to see where the age to uo until next Halloween. I'll see about getting those pics downloaded onto this post from the brew on here..

Back