Time to Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have written about this batch in the past, but would like the forum thoughts one last time. This is a Belgian Wit that was brewed on June 3rd and went to a secondary on June 27th. The yeast was Wyeast Witbier 9944 fermented at 70 degrees. I know that airlock activity should not be used to determine when it’s time to bottle, but why, after all this time (6+ weeks), would there still be CO2 being produced? There doesn’t appear to be any infection, so it has me baffled.

As long as the gravity is not too high, I am planning on bottling tonight. Does this sound like a good idea, or should I let it sit until it completely settles down?

Thanks for any opinions.
Rick

I've noticed that my airlock bubbles with weather changes- temperature as well as atomospheric pressure. It's simply co2 off gassing. If your beer is at its fg, it's fine to bottle.

GO by the hydo reading not airlock. Hydro is more accurate. If you find that you are still dropping in points then wait. If you have consistent reading then move onto bottling. It sounds though that you have waited long enough, saying this from a time perspective strictly. I can't tell you exactly without grain bill and hydro readings.

- WW

The airlock activity was steady day after day and the room was air conditioned to a constant temperature and humidity, so I'm still not sure what the cause was. Regardless, after six and a half weeks, I bottled last night. The OG was 1.053 and last night I got 1.012, so I'm feeling confident. Taste was great. Between the hydrometer tube and what was left in the bucket, I bet I drank over a bottles worth! Thanks for your comments. Rick

Back