bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celiacsurvivor

Reaction score
I have a question about bottling.

I have a load of 750mL bottles but no 750mL glasses! When you pour out a pint from these you're are left with quite a lot in the bottom but all the sediment has been mixed up and it doesn't taste so good.

Can I fill these bottles with 500mL's (about a pint), or will the extra head space affect the beer?

I've bottled a couple of times where the last bottle had less than the rest and it came out just fine. I don't know if it was 2/3 of the bottle but definitely less than the others. I'm not sure it would hurt anything, but may affect carbonation....perhaps take longer to carbonate fully. Maybe one of the more experienced folks could chime in.

Or, you could just buy some bigger glasses....or fill 2 smaller ones. One for each hand! :)

I'd be careful doing that, some folks have reported bottle bombs from too much headpace/not enough liquid for the co2 to be absorbed it.

Rather than that, try chilling the beer longer....Like a week or more before you start drinking them. THe longer you chill them, the more the yeast flocculates and the tighter the yeast cake in the bottom gets, so there is less sediment in the solution. I have had beers that were in my fridge for months that you could (and I did) completely upend the bottle, pour all the beer in and the sediment was rock hard on the bottom and the beer was perfectly clear.

I'd be careful doing that, some folks have reported bottle bombs from too much headpace/not enough liquid for the co2 to be absorbed it.

Rather than that, try chilling the beer longer....Like a week or more before you start drinking them. THe longer you chill them, the more the yeast flocculates and the tighter the yeast cake in the bottom gets, so there is less sediment in the solution. I have had beers that were in my fridge for months that you could (and I did) completely upend the bottle, pour all the beer in and the sediment was rock hard on the bottom and the beer was perfectly clear.

Thanks Revvy. I normally chill them for a day or two but I'll give this a go. I hadn't thought about the bottle bomb issue. I've never had one and don't want to start now.

Or, you could just buy some bigger glasses....or fill 2 smaller ones. One for each hand!

I have tried both of those, the beer warms up too fast in big glasses, and I need one hand for the remote.

Back