Anyone use DAP as a yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrencepickles

Reaction score
Title says it. Getting ready to brew some high gravity beers and have some of this on hand. I would like to know if I can add this to help the yeast make it all the way through.

Thoughts?

You can use it but making a large starter or pitching your wort on fresh yeast cake would be better. DAP will not guaranty a healthy start. DAP is for stalled fermentations or wines with little nutrients.

Google; Mr Malty for a pitching calculator.

If you’re thinking about brewing 1.090+ beers, definitely do a little reading first. I just finished up “Radical Brewing” and there was a great section on brewing big beers. The advice that I’ve taken in so far is: use plenty of yeast (mrmalty from above), spend time adding oxygen to your wort, and substituting 10%-20% of good sugar in place of DME can help the beer finish.

If you’re thinking about brewing 1.090+ beers, definitely do a little reading first. I just finished up “Radical Brewing” and there was a great section on brewing big beers. The advice that I’ve taken in so far is: use plenty of yeast (mrmalty from above), spend time adding oxygen to your wort, and substituting 10%-20% of good sugar in place of DME can help the beer finish.
Shuf, I know this is a old thread but I had a problem with stuck fermentation and was doing some research, what do you mean by good sugars?

By good, I meant high quality sugar. If you use it to bake it's probably good enough, and your lhbs should have corn sugar (dextrose) if you want that.

Back