Clone of the Black Butte Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
Without any reply for an Obsidian Stout clone made by the Deschutes Brewery in Bend Oregon i'll ask this, is there a clone for the Deschutes Brewery's Black Butte Porter available? It has a IBUs:30, ABV 5.2%.

Brew Your Own magazine has a clone recipe of Black Butte Porter in the special 150 Classic Clone Recipes magazine. Your local homebrew shop should have a copy of the magazine on hand or one for you to buy. Let me know how it turns out, I'm thinking of trying a porter this fall.

Check out the website for my LHBS. They have an Obsidian Clone in the recipes. I have not personally made this recipe.

Thanks for the replies by Smalltown2001, McBrew and Blender for your clone recipes which I shall note and record for future brewing recipes.
Blender thanks for posting the Bearcat Brewmasters Black Butte Porter clone in all grain. Without you guys and this forum with me as a starting up brewer, well still just collecting kegs for my many ideas to be applied as budget allows. (takes three kegs to build one with my design ideas). I would be lost in the type of AG I want to enjoy. Again many thanks for all your time and help.
A very slow process on this brewer, thursday I get a radiactive injection to see why my back has me hurting so bad with these old fracrures, buldging discs plus spinal stenosis keeping me flat on my back 80% of the time. Heck I want to build my brewery call it mental and medical therapy, half price two for one. Thanks again guys. Carl.....=o&o>......

Carl, I sure am sorry to hear of your back troubles. I have a few myself but not nearly as severe.

Look for an assistant and he/she can do the heavy lifting. :)

Take care.

i did a pretty close clone: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/epicbeerdude?feature=mhee#p/u/6/Z6Ut7i9U1RM[/ame]

This is off the Deschutes Brewer's website. Lists their ingredients at least. They have one for Obsidian too.

Black Butte Porter Clone
The one that started it all
Black Butte Porter
Specifics
Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.055-1.060
Final gravity: 1.016-1.019
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale
Malt

NW 2-row Pale Malt
Chocolate Wheat
Dextrin Malt
Crystal Malt

Hops

Cascade
Galena
Tettnang

**Note: Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!

Back