Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
Northern brewer sent my package a day late now I won't be able to do my starter until tonight and I AM brewing tomorrow (Vanilla Bean Porter). Do you think I'll be cool with only a 18 hour starter? I'm not all that worried just like some reassurance fromm the HBT crew sometimes. Thanks guys.

BMW-LDB

You will be just fine. I have made a starter with as little as 12 hours and I had great results.

You will be just fine. I have made a starter with as little as 12 hours and I had great results.

Let's qualify that statement: he should be okay. In my world, you're a slave to your yeast. If it gets to be brewday and your yeast starter hasn't done anything, then you delay your brew or you brew something else and use dry yeast. Just this past weekend, I had a couple brews planned for saturday, so I made 2 starters the day before. One took off quickly, the other wasn't doing anything by the time I was slated to brew. So I only brewed the first batch for the healthy starter, and postponed the other one. The next day, the starter was going strong, so I brewed the second batch then.

Yeast starters don't always start up right away...and if I were the OP, I'd make the starter today, pitch the yeast, and see what happens. If the starter is going strong by the time you're slated to brew, then brew strong! If it hasn't started, then put off your brew day or just brew something else and pitch dry yeast.

I know this sounds harsh, and if you'd asked me this question a year ago, I'd have told you to brew anyway and don't worry about it. But I've since come to the realization that pitching a healthy amount of yeast is one of the most important factors in creating good beer, right up there with sanitation and fermentation temps. If you can't pitch a healthy population, don't pitch at all.

since you are making a porter, and your starter wort is likely something lighter, it should be okay to pitch the whole starter (pint or quart). Normally I like to refrigerate starters overnight the night before brewing to separate out the yeast, so I can pour off the beer made in the starter and pitch a thicker slurry with less taste impact on lighter beers. The percent of starter wort/beer you would be added to a porter shouldn't make a difference in color or flavor.

This may come in handy.
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
and

A great deal of discussion rages over this topic. Should the starter be fermented completely, the spent liquid decanted, and the yeast pitched or should the entire starter be pitched when at the height of activity?

Most yeast experts say that when propagating yeast, moving at high krausen is optimal. The time of high krauesen can range anywhere from a few hours to twenty-four or more. It depends on the amount of yeast added to the starter wort, yeast health, temperature, and several other factors.

Doss says a starter made from an XL pack of yeast into 2 liters of wort will reach its maximum cell density within 12-18 hours. If you’re starting with a very small amount of yeast in a large starter, it can take 24 hours or more to reach maximum cell densities. For the average starter, let's just say that the bulk of the yeast growth is done by 12-18 hours.

I like to pitch starters while they're still very active and as soon as the bulk of reproduction is finished, usually within 12 to 18 hours. This is really convenient, because I can make a starter the morning of the brew day or the night before and it is ready to go by the time the batch of wort is ready.

Of course, if you have a large starter volume in relation to your batch of beer or a starter that was continuously aerated, then you probably don’t want to pitch the entire starter into your wort. Adding a large starter or a heavily oxidized starter to your wort can alter the flavor of the finished beer.

If you’re going to pitch only the yeast from the starter, make sure the starter attenuates fully before decanting the spent wort. The yeast rebuild their glycogen reserve at the end of fermentation and it is this glycogen that they use when preparing to ferment a new batch of beer. Separating the spent wort from the yeast too early also selectively discards the less flocculent, higher attenuating individuals in your yeast population. You may end up with a pitch of yeast that won’t attenuate the beer fully. Allow the fermentation to go complete cycle, chill, decant the beer and pitch just the yeast.

The source for the top quote was Zymurgy.

UPS dropped off early so I went home at lunch and made my starter. So I'll get a full 24 hours plus in. :rockin: I'm all good :rockin:

BMW-LDB

Back