Not straining Hops and Hot break to primary - affect tastes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrawford

Reaction score
I didn't strain the hops and hot break when I added the wort to the primary. I know everything should be fine and it doesn't matter as long as I get all the trub out before I keg. But does this have any effect on taste. Is leaving all the hops in there sorta like dry hopping? Will this add hop aroma or more IBUs???

I can't say exactly in what way it will affect your beer's flavor because I only once tried to actually remove them before dumping into my fermenter. But it won't hurt.

This is something that i don't understand yet....So if I add my aroma hops with 5 minutes left in the boil but it takes my wort 20 minutes to cool and then the hops doing even get strained out, just dumped in primary, what is going on? The hops will be in contact with the wort for a heck of a lot longer then 5 minutes... and they are probably adding flavor right?

This is something that i don't understand yet....So if I add my aroma hops with 5 minutes left in the boil but it takes my wort 20 minutes to cool and then the hops doing even get strained out, just dumped in primary, what is going on? The hops will be in contact with the wort for a heck of a lot longer then 5 minutes... and they are probably adding flavor right?

Mostly aroma, but some flavor as well.

My first batch I didn't strain the hops out of my brew and they went into the fermenter and my beer turned out good. It was a little on the bitter side but it has gotten better with age.

If I have an extract recipe and using a muslin bag for the grain, and the hops are pellets, is there any need to strain?

If I have an extract recipe and using a muslin bag for the grain, and the hops are pellets, is there any need to strain?

I use pellets (mostly) and I strain before putting in the fermenter, but it's a matter of prefrence, actually.

I've started using one of these on my last 2 batches...a nylon paint straining bag, the kind with an elastic band around the top. It's reusable and it fits perfectly around the mouth of your bucket (assuming you are using a bucket to ferment in).

how%20to5.jpg

I got this off of hbd.org

Graham sent 9 beers onto the second round of the NHC, so I believe he understand brewing a bit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a question mainly for Graham Cox, but all others as well.

With all those placings at 1st Round (congrats btw), do you still just throw your all your kettle contents into the fermenter, trub and all?

I remember last year when a trub/non-trub experiment was taking place Graham mentioned pitching everything into the fermenter, trub and all, as well as a number of folks who ferment right in their brew pot.

Just getting an update if that's how you still do it, Graham. If so, it sure seems no reason to fret on whirpooling based on your results!

Graham Cox

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 04:31 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris, it's not quite that dramatic, but yeah, that's pretty much it.

I fit a large plastic funnel in the mouth of a 6-gallon carboy. I use a high-quality stainless-steel collander that fits right in the mouth of the funnel, and I pour the contents of my kettle through that. I have started using pellet hops exclusively due to the hop shortage and I do pour carefully to keep the very last dregs in the kettle, as it consists mostly of just hop sludge, but we're talking maybe a pint of volume. Everything else goes in the fermenter.

The compounds of hops that create flavor and bitterness are not directly soluble in wort. They have to be isomerized during a boil. Thus, no boiling=no bitterness and little to no flavor.

Chris, it's not quite that dramatic, but yeah, that's pretty much it.

I fit a large plastic funnel in the mouth of a 6-gallon carboy. I use a high-quality stainless-steel collander that fits right in the mouth of the funnel, and I pour the contents of my kettle through that. I have started using pellet hops exclusively due to the hop shortage and I do pour carefully to keep the very last dregs in the kettle, as it consists mostly of just hop sludge, but we're talking maybe a pint of volume. Everything else goes in the fermenter.
Man! That needs an experiment. A side-by-side comparison of the same beer - half with as little trub as possible racked to primary, and the other half with a load of crap from the kettle. I wonder if removing the cold break is actually a bad idea?

Really interesting post - thanks for sharing.

Man! That needs an experiment. A side-by-side comparison of the same beer - half with as little trub as possible racked to primary, and the other half with a load of crap from the kettle. I wonder if removing the cold break is actually a bad idea?

Really interesting post - thanks for sharing.

I would love to see someone do an experiment. Maybe I will next time...

The compounds of hops that create flavor and bitterness are not directly soluble in wort. They have to be isomerized during a boil. Thus, no boiling=no bitterness and little to no flavor.

Ok this makes sense to me. - So no bitterness and no flavor but sill aroma? Does dry hopping only impart aroma and no flavor or bitterness?

Ok this makes sense to me. - So no bitterness and no flavor but sill aroma? Does dry hopping only impart aroma and no flavor or bitterness?

Yes that is true...but it is of my opinion that dry hopping increases the perception of bitterness. There is no true bitterness and no increase in IBU, but personally I think if you take the same brew and split it in half, dry hop one and not the other, the dry hopped one will seem more bitter.

But that is just my opinion.

Back