Selecting Cones for Low Resin to Chlorophyll Ratios

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustusLiebig

Reaction score
So this year I made a 10 gallon IPA batch and dry hopped one with .75 oz. Cascade pellets and the other carboy with .8 oz. of fresh picked hops. I believe they were Golding, maybe Chinook, but that's neither here nor there.
The point is that I really enjoyed it over the Cascade. It had a much broader bouquet that was less sharp and less lopsided in it's aroma than the Cascade.
Next year I want to bump that conservative .8 oz. up quite a bit and I have been thinking of ways to avoid a strong chlorophyll flavor. I trellised my hops on the west side of my house and the east side between the trellis and my house grew a considerable amount of healthy looking long and plump cones. I have plenty to be choosy in which cones I pick.
My question is, do the cones on the shady side or the sunny side have a higher resin to chlorophyll ratio. I've heard that the cuz grows more resins on the cones exposed to the sun, but would there be less chlorophyll contained in the shady ones, thereby counteracting the suns affect on resin production? If so, when trying to limit the grassy flavor would it be best to pick from the shaded cones?

that is a great question. i grow my hops on the side of my garage and some cones end up in the shade because they are covered up by other bines. the cones in the shade are lighter in color and seemed to have a stronger aroma, but i'm not sure if i was just picking them later because they were harder to get to.

The shaded ones are likely to ripen later. I've heard usually to begin picking from the top as this is where the most sunlight is. I bet they also develop faster due to the growth hormones being funneled to the higher vegetation.

The experiment "Effect of shading on leaf development and chlorophyll content in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L." by George, S.; Nair, R. V. http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19916775784.html;jsessionid=C4CE874F2CF5B543DB58BB7C4DC87478 suggests that when plants(specifically Arachis hypogaea L.) are shaded they actually increase chlorophyll production, which makes sense. If this is true then hops picked on the sunniest part of the plant should provide the least amount of chlorophyll flavoring.
Do you guys think it is justifiable to believe these would make a better choice when using large amounts of wet hops in order to avoid the grassy chlorophyll flavor/aroma?

Cool, I'll take the lack of criticism as a good sign.
I think we have enough information to merit an experiment. What does anyone think about brewing 10 gallons and pitching a high enough amount of fresh hops to the carboys to be able to smell the chlorophyll aroma, but low enough to be able to contrast one batch from another? Therefore, all things being equal, I could pitch one with shaded cones and the other with the sunlight cones.
This brings another question, if I find a difference, or anyone else willing to take up the cause. Would the smaller brewer best be served by their homegrown by using shaded fresh hops for the bittering additions and sunny fresh hops for aroma additions?
The worst part about it is I get a whole year to sit around and plan it out.

I'm not so sure that this concept will pull through. I just read that it is hexanols which are the chief contributor of grassy aromas.

Back