Need a stir-plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

907_fellow

Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy a stir plate. I don't want to make one, I want to buy one. I want to use it primarily for 2L, 5 gallon starters, however I do have a 5L flask and would like both to work with whatever stir plate I get.

Any recommendations for me?

Had the Hanna one we used in our lab at the water plant. Barely lasted one year.

How often was it used though?? Lab use level, IMO, is far more than home brewer use level. I've had mine for 1-1/2 years already and it's still going strong. When it [eventually] dies, I'll probably go for a more industrial model. Just have to wonder how many months/years before that happens.

Meh... How does it do with a 3L flask (web site says it's sized for up to a 2L flask)??? I have a 2L and 3L flask I use (the 3L gets more use). I would get another 3L flask if I was to get another one. I have a 5L flask that's not being used only because it won't fit into my fridge to cold crash/chill when done. Plus, I can get the cell count needed using the 3L flask with a two step starter. :rockin:

IF/when I get another stirplate, I want something that will easily handle a 3L and 5L flask.

Meh... How does it do with a 3L flask (web site says it's sized for up to a 2L flask)??? I have a 2L and 3L flask I use (the 3L gets more use). I would get another 3L flask if I was to get another one. I have a 5L flask that's not being used only because it won't fit into my fridge to cold crash/chill when done. Plus, I can get the cell count needed using the 3L flask with a two step starter. :rockin:

IF/when I get another stirplate, I want something that will easily handle a 3L and 5L flask.

You might look at the website before denigrating the product - there is a 5L version available.

You might look at the website before denigrating the product - there is a 5L version available.

I DID look... Only saw reference to the one that can handle a 2L flask. If they have more models, then they need to state so on the page, in a place you don't need to dig through to find. I even posted "web site says it's sized for up to a 2L flask" which (to most people) would lead you to think I DID look at the site. Which I did. :p

I read the section:

What's Inside?

This unit has two powerful NdFeB button magnets in the 12 VDC stir motor, which is controlled by a precision voltage regulator for easy speed adjustment. The RPMs of the drive motor are limited, so the motor will not "throw" the stir bar, yet it provides enough to get a good vortex going. A low voltage, plug-in wall transformer provides power to the unit. The black plastic case dimensions are 6" x 4" x 2", large enough to accomodate a 2000 mL flask as shown. A Teflon coated 1" x 5/16" stir bar is included. A "keeper" magnet is also supplied to lock the stir bar in place while the yeast is pitched, so the stir bar won't end up in your fermenter!

Didn't see the section above. IMO, if they want people to see that, they need to have less small text on the main page. If they also want people to KNOW they have the 5L size, it should be a bigger feature/announcement. It was beyond easy to skip over it.

It also looks like the entire thing is run on shoe-string budget. Sorry, but as much as I'd like to support the small business, I'm not going to trust an important piece of hardware to something like that. Hanna has been in business for more than a few years. What kind of warranty does stirstarter even offer?? It's not clear from the site.

If that ruffles feathers, well... Think what you want, buy what you like. I tend to go with hardware/vendors that either have a solid track record, solid warranty process, or both (most often both).

Brewcrew02... ?????? You mean HUNG like a large horse. :eek:

I read the section:

What's Inside?

This unit has two powerful NdFeB button magnets in the 12 VDC stir motor, which is controlled by a precision voltage regulator for easy speed adjustment. The RPMs of the drive motor are limited, so the motor will not "throw" the stir bar, yet it provides enough to get a good vortex going. A low voltage, plug-in wall transformer provides power to the unit. The black plastic case dimensions are 6" x 4" x 2", large enough to accomodate a 2000 mL flask as shown. A Teflon coated 1" x 5/16" stir bar is included. A "keeper" magnet is also supplied to lock the stir bar in place while the yeast is pitched, so the stir bar won't end up in your fermenter!

Didn't see the section above. IMO, if they want people to see that, they need to have less small text on the main page. If they also want people to KNOW they have the 5L size, it should be a bigger feature/announcement. It was beyond easy to skip over it.

It also looks like the entire thing is run on shoe-string budget. Sorry, but as much as I'd like to support the small business, I'm not going to trust an important piece of hardware to something like that. Hanna has been in business for more than a few years. What kind of warranty does stirstarter even offer?? It's not clear from the site.

If that ruffles feathers, well... Think what you want, buy what you like. I tend to go with hardware/vendors that either have a solid track record, solid warranty process, or both (most often both).

Brewcrew02... ?????? You mean HUNG like a large horse. :eek:

Its on the front page, easy to see in my opinion and I don't know how you could miss it:

Introducing "StirStarter 5L", the stir plate large and strong enough to stir a 5L starter wort! It's got a larger 8" x 6" base, ball bearing drive motor and drive magnets with 15 lbs. of pull force. The price is $81 delivered to your door. Contact me [email protected] if you wish to place an order.

They offer a lifetime warranty, also easily seen on their website. I have no opinion about Hanna and haven't offered any. All I've done is correct your factual error, where you claim that stirstarters doesn't offer a 5L model.

I'm going to be direct - you gave wrong information, I've corrected your error. Let it go.

I posted two viable options. If the OP decides to go with something else, that's up to him. He was asking for choices. What you posted is no more, or less, of a choice/option than what I posted. If you think yours is better than that's your issue. :tank:

I posted two viable options. If the OP decides to go with something else, that's up to him. He was asking for choices. What you posted is no more, or less, of a choice/option than what I posted. If you think yours is better than that's your issue. :tank:

I have no opinion about Hanna nor have I stated one. I corrected your error when you said that stirstarters.com doesn't offer a 5L option.

Here's the correct version of your opinion:

If you think yours is better , then that's your issue.

http://www.constant-content.com/blog/2007/12/if-then-statements-require-commas/

If that site talked about yeast starters, then I'm sure you'd have a lot to say.

I have no opinion about Hanna nor have I stated one. I corrected your error when you said that stirstarters.com doesn't offer a 5L option.

If Pappers continues to make factually accurate statements, then his posting "likes" will pile up.

^^ This is also a factual statement and not an opinion.

Golddiggie said:
I use this one with my 2L and 3L flasks without issue. I haven't [yet] used my 5L flask on it. If you want the mother of all stirplates, you could get this one.

I've got the black max. It'll spin a 5gallon carboy for days. Solid performer. And he's a brewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have emailed the guy at stirstarters.com multiple times with no reply, so I think I'm going another route.
I also work in a water lab, so I have a old stir plate I'm borrowing from the lab for now.

Think I might just go with the black max. From what I can see, doing 5 gallon batches of normal beer, I can get away with a 2L set-up, but at some point in the near future I want to dabble with 10 gallon batches. This is why I got a 5L flask, so I might as well buy a stir plate capable of my future needs.

How does the black max do with 1,2, and 3L flasks? Is it too much rpms for the smaller flasks?

I've done starters in a half gallon growler, and a 2L flask. I've also spun a 5gallon carboy. a 6 gallon is too much. the speed works for everything mentioned (except 6g).

High grav beers in the 5 gallon range can be helped by the spin cycle of it all. And a 5 gallon carboy sits well on the plate. (6 will do, but I keep throwing the bar).

You'll want a bar with a ring in the middle for flat bottoms like flasks. for growlers, a straight bar (I think mine is an octagon but no ring). Using those combinations promotes silent spinning (no bar noise).

Dan from stir starters emailed me back and I got his 5L str plate on the way.

I was going to use a half gallon growler for my first starter, but the bottom isn't flat and my stir bar would not spin in there. That pissed me off... Luckily I work in a lab so I was able to obtain a 1000ml flask and got tht one going.

Dan from stir starters emailed me back and I got his 5L str plate on the way.

I was going to use a half gallon growler for my first starter, but the bottom isn't flat and my stir bar would not spin in there. That pissed me off... Luckily I work in a lab so I was able to obtain a 1000ml flask and got tht one going.

Really? I have no problems getting a flat bar to spin in a half gallon growler. Straight bar, no center rib.

Maybe the bottom of your growler is different then the dozen or so I got laying around. The bottom isn't flat, so it don't spin.

Back