Koby, socal-norcal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been a part of HBT for a couple weeks now but did not get around to an introduction. I'm from Southern California, Palm Springs to be exact, but I live in San Francisco now. I've been into beer and brewing since I turned 21. Before that I was only aware of getting hammered off piss water. (I was young) I did a speech on beer and brewing in a Public Speaking class in college a year ago and that's what really sparked my interest. A couple months later my girlfriend bought be a Mr Beer kit, I made a blonde ale and golden lager, they were good, for coming from a kit. Now I've moved on to a half plastic half glass kit. My current brews are: an IPA, bottled and carbonating and a Hefe that I'm going to try and turn into a strawberry wheat beer for my girlfriends birthday. Which is in the primary right now. I'm excited to be part of such an awesome community!!

Koby

San Fran! I lived there for a couple years in the late 70s, and go back whenever I can. I trust you have availed yourself of the draught beer selection at the Toronado? Most inspiring.

RobertRGeorge said:
San Fran! I lived there for a couple years in the late 70s, and go back whenever I can. I trust you have availed yourself of the draught beer selection at the Toronado? Most inspiring.

Hell yea I have! That's where I got my first Pliny the Elder on tap! And other great brews. Haha. I also go to Shotwells, which does not have as good a selection as Toronado, but still does great! And I've been trying to make it to the City Beer store to try and pick up a good haul. I get all my brewing equipment and ingredients from SF Brewcraft. Ever been there?

SF Brewcraft has got to be the place that I was going to in the 70s, out in the Richmond. Haven't been there in decades, but I remember it being a nice clean, well organized shop, unlike the places I frequented in San Jose (dust, cobwebs, old wine barrels...)

I checked out their website to be sure it was the place. Love the picture featuring the Cadillac and the "local color" outside (I'm guessing that's "Griz" the current owner.)

Sorry to see the San Francisco Brewing Company closed, but I understand the bar itself has reopened. I think Jack London and Jack Kerouac must have both been in there at one time or another.

If you get a chance to take the tour of Anchor Brewing do it. Fritz Maytag built a shrine to craft brewing there in the old MJB coffee roasting factory. This time of year the sun shines through the windows of the tasting room around 3pm and you can readily admire the beautiful color of the pours!

RobertRGeorge said:
PS: I see there are a number of microbreweries now in SF. Awaiting your report.

Yep, that's him! He's one of them old timely folk that likes to sit in the corner of the shop and give his knowledge to all. Haha. I've been trying TK get into Anchor for a while(I guess I haven't been trying that hard) they're booked at least a month ahead, I tried to go for my birthday, :( but ill definitely set up a tour ASAP. As for all the microbreweries, there are a ton. Haha. I've web to a couple, thirsty bear, southern pacific, and some others that aren't coming to mind right now. I also went to Lagunitas a couple months ago, that was an awesome place an really helped spark my interest.

Well, the home brewing scene in Northern California is among the best there is in my opinion (no offense Boston and San Diego, I've brewed there too!) If you get up to Santa Rosa a visit to The Beverage People would be worth while, and you could kiss Byron Burch's ring while you are there--if he's in; call first;)

Welcome, I recently moved from SoCal to the San Francisco area. I've been to SF Brewcraft and Toronados, but I'm still trying to get familiar with more spots. I'm a beginner and it's been really cool getting to meet people on here. Welcome again!

MartiMcFu said:
Welcome, I recently moved from SoCal to the San Francisco area. I've been to SF Brewcraft and Toronados, but I'm still trying to get familiar with more spots. I'm a beginner and it's been really cool getting to meet people on here. Welcome again!

Where from SoCal are you from?

Back