Forgot Liquid extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Switch23

Reaction score
Help,

Got all done, added the yeast, fermantation started and then realized the bag of liquid malt extract was not added. What can be done?

I almost did that twice myself. Maybe nuke the LME for a couple minutes,then add it when it cools a little bit to the FV & stir gently.

I wouldn't add it now. It may be difficult to get it to dissolve and usually your adding it to a hot wort. Was there any other extract added? Maybe post your recipe.

Don't worry, just add it to a pot with a bit of water and boil it for 10 minutes to sanitize, then cool it covered to room temperature. Dump it in the carboy.

I think you can add it now if you boil it first and cool it to your fermentor temp, but it'll change the beer for sure. Never had this happen, so it may be a bad idea, but people add fermentables during fermentation and it works. Good luck.

Since it was supposed to be in there to start with,it'll only change it to what it was intended to be. Or a reasonable faximily thereof.

We need to know the ingredients list of what DID make it into the fermenter. If the LME/DME was your primary fermentable then you don't really want to go on without it, otherwise if this was a partial mash, you're just going to have a lower gravity beer...

Don't worry, just add it to a pot with a bit of water and boil it for 10 minutes to sanitize, then cool it covered to room temperature. Dump it in the carboy.

Probably the best solution, but (see below)

We need to know the ingredients list of what DID make it into the fermenter. If the LME/DME was your primary fermentable then you don't really want to go on without it, otherwise if this was a partial mash, you're just going to have a lower gravity beer...

it would help to have this information too.

I`m brewing Belgian Dubbel which was Irish Moss, bittering hops, flavor hops, cane sugar Breiss Organics caramal and 1/4 lb of extra special malt. Forgot the 7.5 lbs of liquid malt extract.
thanks everyone

I mean, it's definitely worth a shot. You won't end up with much of a beer without at least trying to add it. I would boil it, cool it, and add it to the fermenter asap.

You definitely need to add the LME, it is your primary fermentable by far. If you don't you're just going to have yeasty, sugar water.

As mentioned above, you need to mix it with water and boil it for 15~ minutes, cool it, then add it to the fermenter.

The LME is kind of important :D

Originally Posted by Snicks

Do what Snicks said. The 7.5# of LME *is* the beer. Otherwise it will totally suck, for it will be a bitter mess at about 0.5% - 1% ABV.

Leave it in the carboy for your normal amount of time AFTER you've added your LME. I'd leave it for 3-4 weeks, bottle, and condition for a month.

Latest posts

Back