Can You Brew It recipe for Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1065
FG 1013-1014
6.7%abv
49.4 IBUs
7.5 SRM

90 min boil

Pacman yeast. (Wyeast 1764) fermented at 60F to start and warm up through fermentation.

10.58 lbs US 2-row
3.57 lbs munich
1.53 lbs carastan

40g Perle 7.5%AA at 90min (can sub German Northern Brewer)
32g sterling 7%AA at 1min (can sub Centennial)

Mash at 152 for ? minutes
Mashout at 168 for 10 minutes
Sparge for 170 for 45 minutes

brewed it and it is marvelous. Got about a 1/4 keg of it left now and it's about the best it's tasted, it's been in the kegerator for about 2 months now.

I listened to the podcast and now I am going to make me some dead guy!!! The question I have is that during the interview John Maier said that they used Great Western malt C15, which has a lovibond of 13-17 (according to their website). The cloned recipe uses carastan malt, from what I can see on Austin hombrew's website has a lovibond of 30-37. How is/was the colour going to be affected from utilizing different coloured malts? In addition, what is the flavor difference between carastan and caramalt in a dead guy clone, other than the colour (caramalt from simpsons is 25-35 L)?

edit caramalt from simpsons is 25-35 EBC, which I guess answers my own colour question, but what about flavor?

Are the IBU's calculated Rager or Tineseth?

From first post:

All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

Rogue lists Dead Guy at 40 IBU. The recipe however and the CYBI interview states 49 IBU.

That's a pretty huge difference.

Has anyone done this with the hop schedule listed above?

Rogue lists Dead Guy at 40 IBU. The recipe however and the CYBI interview states 49 IBU.

I think I have responded to this question three times since yesterday. Of course I don't mind, I am just surprised that there is suddenly this large interest in the IBU calculations. The simple answer is, the difference is just a manifestation of the IBU formula used. Rager produces 49, Tinseth about 38, Garetz about 30 for this hop bill. Rogue most likely measures theirs at 40.

I'll be brewing a BIAB batch of this tomorrow... Will post results once it's in the keg.

Cheers :mug:

Another question.

I am running the CYBI recipe (as posted exactly) through Beersmith 1.4. Using Munich malt (SRM 9.0), 2-Row (2 SRM), and Crystal 15 (15 SRM), the estimated color is 8.5 SRM.

Rogue lists Dead Guy at 16 Lovibond.

Generic Munich doesn't appear to have the right amount of SRM to hit the color target. Several substitues are below.

Caramel Munich is 56 SRM
Weyermann Cara Munich I is 30.6 - 38.1
Weyermann Cara Munich II is 41.8 - 49.3
Weyermann Cara Munich II is 53.1 - 60.6

What type of Munich do you suggest for getting the color right?

If keeping true to the recipe, using Munich, how do I achieve the right color?

I'll be brewing a BIAB batch of this tomorrow... Will post results once it's in the keg.

Cheers :mug:

In primary and fermenting like a champ with wyeast denny's fav!

All the numbers were spot on, will post tasting results when it's ready in a couple or three weeks.

Another question.

I am running the CYBI recipe (as posted exactly) through Beersmith 1.4. Using Munich malt (SRM 9.0), 2-Row (2 SRM), and Crystal 15 (15 SRM), the estimated color is 8.5 SRM.

Rogue lists Dead Guy at 16 Lovibond.

Generic Munich doesn't appear to have the right amount of SRM to hit the color target. Several substitues are below.

Caramel Munich is 56 SRM
Weyermann Cara Munich I is 30.6 - 38.1
Weyermann Cara Munich II is 41.8 - 49.3
Weyermann Cara Munich II is 53.1 - 60.6

What type of Munich do you suggest for getting the color right?

If keeping true to the recipe, using Munich, how do I achieve the right color?

Color models are similar to IBU formulas - very inconsistent. Go with regular Munich or, if you want the beer darker, Dark Munich. Caramel malts will result in a completely different taste.

The ABV is also way to high. I believe DG comes in at 6.5%. This one comes in around 8.5ish% according to BeerSmith.

Keep in mind this produces 6 gallons at the end of the boil, you're expected to rack off 5.5 and then end with 5 coming out of the fermenter.

I have brewed this beer 4 times now and it is awesome. I have made a session dead guy that was pretty good too. I love the huge munich percentage and the hop combo of perle and sterling, it just rocks. Here in utah dead guy costs around $2.50 per bottle and is old. John knows how to make a beer that can last even in the most ****ty conditions. But this clone is dead on. Try it! Oh yeah you can use any clean ale yeast, cali ale or safale 05 is what John told me when I met him at the brewery. But pacman is preferred.

This is my favorite commercial brew, I have brewed it now 6 maybe 7 times
made a Lager and 6 different ales using different yeast. have yet to use pacman as my local home brew shop didn't have it this winter. This is a great
Recipe and always produces a drinkable beer. The most memorable and tasty
were the lager using Wyeast Munich Lager and White labs WPL530 Abbey ale. Thanks for posting it and thanks to Rouge for letting it out. :mug::mug:

In primary and fermenting like a champ with wyeast denny's fav!

All the numbers were spot on, will post tasting results when it's ready in a couple or three weeks.

Just wanted to report that this recipe rocks! :rockin:

Two 10g batches later all the brew's long gone, tastes very close to DGA but I'll continue to tweak the hop bill until it's exact.

But now it's on to double dead guy since I picked up a bottle the other day and can't get over how good it was. I'd describe it as a DGA with an abbey ale twist, I'm thinking Rogue must have used a belgian yeast strain instead of pacman? Any thoughts?

headbanger - please post your DDGA recipe. Per an email from a brewer at Rogue, Pacman is the yeast.

I brewed the extract kit which I ordered directly though the rogue website and it came with candy that as added with 5 minutes left.

I've never seen it on anybody's clone, but just thought I would toss that out there. Came out great, btw.

Good luck!

headbanger - please post your DDGA recipe. Per an email from a brewer at Rogue, Pacman is the yeast.

I'm thinking of just adding around 2-3lbs of sugar (10g batch) to the DGA recipe... If I can't get my hands on some pacman (haven't been able to find any yet) I'll probably rack the wort onto an abbey ale cake that's in primary with a Lefe clone now. Either way, I'll let you know what I end up doing and how it turns out. Thanks for the info :mug:

6 gallon should make the numbers match up. Beersmith 2 makes some assumptions that screw with other numbers but that's how I still formulate my recipes.

I'm going to be giving this recipe a shot on Saturday, as part of learn to homebrew day in Tulsa. Thanks for posting it!

Couple quick notes:

First, I couldn't get a hold of Pacman, so I went with 1056.

Second, I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong, but I came in real low on my OG (1.055). I'll keep an eye on it and let you know how it turns out.

Couple quick notes:

First, I couldn't get a hold of Pacman, so I went with 1056.

Second, I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong, but I came in real low on my OG (1.055). I'll keep an eye on it and let you know how it turns out.

It might be a crush problem, also did you notice that it's a 90 minute boil? If you didn't sparge enough for a 90 minute boil that would alter your efficiency for the worse. Boil off rate is another issue with larger beers like this.

brewed last sat. hit my numbers exact with a stuck sparge...:( ferm going strong. going to turn it up a few degrees today for first time. keep posting updates.

Interesting recipe.....I've been brewing Yooper's Undead Guy recipe for a while now, it's pretty much a standard with me. I may have to try this one, given that amount of Munich...

Interesting recipe.....I've been brewing Yooper's Undead Guy recipe for a while now, it's pretty much a standard with me. I may have to try this one, given that amount of Munich...

Just be careful that you use carastan light and not dark, a good sub is crystal 15.

Has anybody used US-05 with this? I'm interested in knowing the mash temp and TG you got... Thanks...

I've never brewed this recipe, but have brewed the closely related Yooper's Undead Guy (see recipes in "American Ale" section) a number of times, which uses US-05. I mash at 154F per instructons and ferment in low '60s. It's delicious.

I use Pacman and ferment at 60 degrees (via refrigerator).

I tried the Brewcraft Dead Guy Ale Kit and Yoopers clone - I prefer Yoopers clone.

I really recommend pacman. You can get it mail order some places. I got mine almost a year ago. Built up starter a few times and divided it up into 8 baby food jars. I just use one jar in a starter everyrime I use it.
Great yeast if u can find it.

Latest posts

Back