Best Way to Check FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPollard6608

Reaction score
Hello,

I am very new to the whole brewing experience and have my first beer fermenting in the primary. The kit said to let the beer ferment for 5-7 days in the primary or until the airlock bubbles once per every 10 minutes. I am at that point and do not have a secondary fermenter to rack it to. I was wondering what is the best way to check the SG of the brew without contaminating it at all? Or in the least amount possible. I am hoping to rack it within the week and bottle so I can start my next brew. The kit I used is an Irish Red Ale Kit from a local brewery shop with a OG of 1.056 and I obtained a reading of 1.055 when I brewed it. I know this is probably answered on other threads but I couldn't find them. I also know that I could potentially leave the brew go for another week or so, but I am getting impatient (its my first brew ;) ). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

sanitize a measuring cup and scoop a sample, or just float your sanitized hydrometer right in the bucket if you can read it okay.

A wine thief and hydrometer is the easiest way. You can also sanitize a turkey baster and use that to remove a sample. I don't think putting the hydrometer in the beer is ever a good idea because they tend to break if you look at them wrong and will ruin the entire batch.

You yeast doesn't really care how impatient you are. I wouldn't consider bottling a beer before three weeks and usually go much longer. Bottle bombs are not a good way to start your brewing career. Also, cloudy beer with tons of sediment in the bottle is gross. I suggest you leave your beer where it is until it's actually finished. Your taste buds will thank you and you will be more likely to brew again.

Back