Going to attempt a "Stella" clone..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
I've only been at this for a couple weeks, so I'm going to stick in my comfort zone of liquid malts for now. I found a company called Brewferm who have some European style liquid malts for Lagers...

I think I want to try their Belgian Pilsner kit, but dry-hop some Saaz, and add a small amount of Sucrose to sneak in that sweetness Stella has..

Their exact yeast strain is kept secret so I'll have to find the closest I can.. Has to produce that dry taste that Stella has.. any ideas??

Sucrose is highly ferment able and will not add sweetness to the finished beer. It will lighten body of the beer. Too much and it makes the beer thin and cidery

I recommend using this kit and following it to the letter. Use the White Labs Czech Bud yeast and make a big starter. Ferment cold at 50-55F A consistent cold fermentation temp is important for making a clean lager. Most people can't maintain a steady lager temp with out a special fridge set up for fermentation. Good Luck!

Oh you're right... I'll need to hold off on this one until I can find a way to keep it cold. Unless I rip out the racks in my fridge and let it ferment in there lol

Oh you're right... I'll need to hold off on this one until I can find a way to keep it cold. Unless I rip out the racks in my fridge and let it ferment in there lol

That's what most people do. You will also need a temp controller to dial in the proper temp on the fridge. If your serious and have the space for it, you can usually find old refrigerators for cheap or free. Many people update their appliances and need to get rid of the old one. Cruise the rich neighborhood on big item garbage pick up day and your sure to score one.

Fermentation temp control is a VERY important aspect to making great beer.

Then you would be best served sticking with ales. Even ale temps in the lower to mid 60's can be hard to manage with out a cold place like a basement. You could move ;)

Back