The Second Annual Masstoberfest 10/3/09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That day works for Kim & me.

Right now, all I have a coffee porter w/ a hint of habanero on tap. It's pretty mediocre (so not competition worthy), but I'll bring some to sample. I'm hoping to brew this weekend. If it's any good, I'll enter it.

10/3???? I am pretty sure I'll be back from the real Octoberfest (Munich), Prague and Amsterdam trip...(last stop is Amsterdam...so..I HOPE I find my way to the plane).

IF I make it back...I'll bring the brown ale I brewed 2 weeks ago.

What are we looking at...10-11ish till o-dark-thirty?

-Will

10/3 should work for me as well. I expect the only competition I'll be entering is pig eating, but I'll see if some magic can happen.

Don't sell yourself short, Hippie! I fully expect you to win, place or show in the pig eating. I'll most likely be your chief competition. I should probably put in a few more workouts, get some more training in. Once I get my smoker back from Worcester I'll start logging the miles. It's a tough job but I'm up to it.

PTN

So is there going to be any brewing that day?

I don't know if I'm going to brew, mostly just because at this point I'm just looking for an easy, no stress party. (Other than cooking a whole hog for a whole bunch of folks.) But if anyone else wants to they are certainly welcome. And I could probably be talked into it, but at this point I'm just thinking I'll handle the cooking, organize the competition and that will keep me busy enough. If anyone wants to use my keggles and save themselves the bother of hauling all of their gear here they are welcome to do so.
PTN

Don't sell yourself short, Hippie! I fully expect you to win, place or show in the pig eating. I'll most likely be your chief competition. I should probably put in a few more workouts, get some more training in. Once I get my smoker back from Worcester I'll start logging the miles. It's a tough job but I'm up to it.

PTN

Sorry Hippe n Paul. If Sloan and I show up, we will school on eating swine.

What are we looking at...10-11ish till o-dark-thirty?

-Will

Like the last few parties, come anytime after noon, leave whenever you must. Last call will be when the very first one of the following occurs:

1. We run out of beer/wine/food. (Highly unlikely.)

2. The cops come and shut us down. (Unlikely, I have cool neighbors, some of whom are town cops who will probably all be there.)

3. Babalu breaks out his Dungeons and Dragons dice.

4. The third fistfight breaks out. (Lets face it, it ain't a party without at least one fistfight, the second one is generally just youthfull exuberence so that don't hardly count. But if we get to three things are getting out of hand and I'll pull the plug. Unless its between chicks. Nuff said.

5. Hippie decides to go skinnydipping in the goldfish pond. (Of course, that will clear out the place PDQ and I won't have to do a thing.)

6. Any talk about sacrificing a virgin (i.e. Yeager) on the bonfire. (Ok, I might just let that one go.)

PTN

Nice...I will be there then. Gonna get a list of what peeps are bringing so we don't have 24 of the same thing?

-Will

PS - Do you need any help with anything? Need any supplies? (cups, forks plates etc)?

If I had a nickle for every time you've said you were coming... Well OK I wouldn't have much.

Hope you can make it this time, Jay, Those of us on the east end of the Pike would love to have you hang with us.
Bring The_Wife &The_Bean, they are certainly welcome.

And yes, a whole oinker. I call it The_Pork.

PTN

"Er.., I can't make it, my B-I-L is having a wisdom tooth removed that day..."

Or some other ludicrous excuse. Sheesh

Well, I think I shall make it and (finally) bring something I brewed, Bradsul's Stout recipe, some plain, some caf'd (supply is coming to an end), and maybe some basic mellowing mead, nothing fancy.

If BullBeers, aka Brian, can't make it I' ll drink for two, then?

Other: I drove part of my brewing stuff to the Cape this a.m., keeping an eye for cops, for fear of having to explain what all this equipment is for.. "See Officer, that is Maris Otter, best malt around... The funnel? Ah, the funnel is for... well.."

I did play some Albert King (says to SRV: "Let's play some blues..!") to my malt, we shall see how it will turn out.

Cheerio.

I generally go with BB King or Eric Claption but I sure can't find any fault with Albert King.

Next time we brew together we'll do a Buddy Guy and Memphis Slim high stepin' mash.

PTN

I always play the Blues while brewing

Same thing I listen to waiting for CB to pick up his phone/answer e-mails etc

The heartbreaker was listening to my little girl keep asking
"Daddy, are we going to the house with the little boys........they're so cute"

I generally go with BB King or Eric Claption but I sure can't find any fault with Albert King.

Next time we brew together we'll do a Buddy Guy and Memphis Slim high stepin' mash.

PTN

the_Bean'll appreciate some BB King...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Hb2EyRrT8]YouTube - Blues Dancing[/ame]

"Er.., I can't make it, my B-I-L is having a wisdom tooth removed that day..."

Or some other ludicrous excuse. Sheesh

Well, I think I shall make it and (finally) bring something I brewed, Bradsul's Stout recipe, some plain, some caf'd (supply is coming to an end), and maybe some basic mellowing mead, nothing fancy.

If BullBeers, aka Brian, can't make it I' ll drink for two, then?

Other: I drove part of my brewing stuff to the Cape this a.m., keeping an eye for cops, for fear of having to explain what all this equipment is for.. "See Officer, that is Maris Otter, best malt around... The funnel? Ah, the funnel is for... well.."

I did play some Albert King (says to SRV: "Let's play some blues..!") to my malt, we shall see how it will turn out.

Cheerio.

Sorry, but you'll be drinking for one that day..:D

Another country head from. They'll let anyone with $25 in here, won't they?:D

Actually, I got in for free...

I'm sure your boy Yeager will bring some. Paul, you should bring some of your bourbon porter for the comp.
PTN

Imagine, hiding behind his wife's maiden name. :rolleyes:

Not sure I'll be able to attend; that is probably the day I fill in for Kemo Sabe at TWB.

I just went and found a few pics from last years pah-tay..

Who said we can't get pretty girls to hang out with us? Mrsthenurse, Michele, and Sarah plus a few ugly guys.
IMG_0631.jpg

Hippie, Kaiser, Donasay, Drinkswellwithothers
IMG_0634.jpg

Hippie and I watch his brew boiling over, while BigJohn and Malana chat with Yeager.
IMG_0588.jpg

Hoss75, Sumo and Bullsbears
IMG_0585.jpg

We got some brewing done while we were eating and drinking.
IMG_0603.jpg

Boston and Hippie
IMG_0621.jpg

Kaiser and his stlying chapeau
IMG_0630.jpg

The Pulitzer Prize winning "Hippie Action Shot," with the lovely Michele. The "Skinnydipping in the Goldfish Pond" shot was destroyed in the intrests of common decency.
IMG_0635.jpg

PTN

You're not letting that Hippie bastard come back, are you? That may determine whether or not I can make it this year.

The honest answer is that if I have a new roof on my garage, I'll make the trek out. If I don't... well, I'll be putting a roof on my garage that weekend. This is where you guys all chime in, "Hey Bird, you need a hand putting that new roof on your garage?" and I say "Sure do, guys, can you come over on Saturday?," but my expectations are pretty low that'll happen.

I honestly would come to help on Satrday but I'm cooking ribs for a friends wedding. (Said friend Drunken marrying the lovely Michelle from the picture above.) Once upon a time I owned a construction company, used to have 10 guys working for me. I honestly like doing roofing, its like going to the gym without the half naked sweaty women. (Ok so it's no where near as much fun as the gym) Pick another weekend and I'm there. I think I still have a roofing nailer and a butt load of roof brackets around here somewhere.)

PTN

I'm actually hoping that it gets done next weekend. Got a bit of a deadline for all of these projects of mid-November, but it's the kind of deadline that could get moved up anytime now, you know?

I *shouldn't* need any more help than my brother will give me, but if he can't help I might take you up on that. There is a little structural damage, the roof's needed to be repaired since I bought the house six years ago but it just started leaking a few months ago. Effin' a.

NOW I know that you're drunk!

I was temped to tear the whole thing down, but I'm going to basically rebuild it (in place) next summer. New roof this fall. Needs new siding. It doesn't have power, which sucks, but I talked to my electrician and he thinks he can hook me up with a separate panel and plenty of outlets and all of that for $700 or $800 total (he works VERY cheap, but he's very good). Going to add a door going into the garden on the back and replace the main door.

But all of that's next summer. For now, it just needs a new roof, so the whole thing doesn't rot out and make all of this moot by springtime.

Thank you, I'll keep you posted on my possible labor requirements.

Hey Paul,

Do you have anything on tap for the party? I have some kegs that I could donate. Not the greatest (some of my first AG brews so a little "thin"), but it is better than nothing. Let me know so I can drop them off before the event to give you time to chill and balance the carb etc.

-Will

Sure Will, if you're proud of it and you want to share it then bring it along. Same goes for anyone else. I believe Babalu has a six tap jockey box, I'll see if we can use that. Worst case we plop the kegs into a barrel of ice ang go old school.
If you don't want to go to the bother of getting the keg here early to allow the yeast to resettle try doing this. Get the keg cold so all the yeast settle, turn the gas to 5 psi or so the take a long leanth of tubing with black fittings on each end and rack the beer into a clean keg. The combination of filling from the dip tube, a long hose and low psi minimizes foaming so you get nice bright beer and leave all (99%) of the yeast behind.

PTN

Hey Paul,

Do you have anything on tap for the party? I have some kegs that I could donate. Not the greatest (some of my first AG brews so a little "thin"), but it is better than nothing. Let me know so I can drop them off before the event to give you time to chill and balance the carb etc.

-Will

Ill bring some barleywine and Oatmeal imperial stout. The BW just took first place at Topsfield and the Imperial took 3rd. Both are very yummy.

I didn't know that they had a beer competition at the Topsfield fair?

PTN

For the past 10 years at least. If you want I'll start PM'ing you on all the competitions. There are a lot of them. There was 150 entries at Topsfield this year. If all goes well I will be on the team that handles the Boston Homebrew Competition too. We will see.

Here is the link for Topsfield and the results:

Competition

So does that mean my beers get preferential treatment?

Cause that wouldn't be right. And I wouldn't want that.

Unless it means that I might somehow come in ahead of my own personal Lex Luthor... Alastair Hewitt. In that case I'm all over it.

PTN

(In the interest of complete honesty, I have no personal knowledge of Alastair Hewitt's plans to dominate the world. At least, the 'Non-New England Homebrewing' part of the world. The New England Homebrewing scene he's had pretty much locked up forever.

The bastard.)

PTN

Latest posts

Back