ghetto equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
just a quick question, i currently have 2 5 gallon pickle buckets in my closet i was originally going to use to do my fermenting, instead i bought the kit, but it occurs to me that they could make great secondary fermentors.

only problem, they smell fairly strongly of pickles (DUH). im guesssing this will transfer itself into the beer and that would be bad, although... pickle pale ale? that does have possibilities.

any easy and cheap ways to remove the odor/possible flavor?

I've heard plenty of people try, but I've never heard a single success story. Bleach, Oxiclean, PBW, soap, etc... nothing seems to work.

Either cough up the dough for new buckets, or head to your local bakery or grocery store and try to score some icing buckets.

anyone ever tried warmed dry baking soda? i got that as a suggestion but i dont wanna buy 10 bucks of baking soda if it ant gonna work

Your fermenters will always be haunted by the spirits of dead pickles. Even if you manage to get the smell out, you will attribute any future off tastes in your beer to the possibility of pickle taint (Do pickles have taints?)

I know the temptation of free gear is strong, but personally I would give up on this one.

taint is not a good addition to a beer, pickle or otherwise.

Home Depot sells 5 gallon buckets with lids for around $5. If you want to go cheap that would be the way.

This is probably beating a dead horse on this topic, but has anyone tried strong ammonia solution?

Again, I think the effort is way not worth it when you can get brand new similar quality buckets for about $5- $6. Why even spend the time messing with a taintified bucket?

Latest posts

Back