I want head!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GabrielKnight

Reaction score
Why does a pub served real ale have such a good head, while mine has a few washing up liquid style bubbles that disappear in less than 30 seconds. I've got the flavour perfect but the texture is more like water than the milky texture of a good pint.

I'm just using Youngs Barley Wine kits atm, with Muntons spraymalt 'Beer Improver', but surely this can't be the only problem.

I've thought of recarbonating a little for volume, but the last think I want is a slightly fizzier version of my current brew. :drunk:

Translation for Americans- "washing-up liquid" = dishwashing liquid.

First question- are you making sure to not leave any washing-up liquid residue on your glasses and beer equipment? Soap can kill a head.

Translation for UK brewers: dishwashing liquid = Fairy liquid. "For hands that do dishes" of course.

I use a dishwasher, just like the pubs. This isn't just that the glasses aren't right. There is no inkling of any head, anywhere, whatsoever, in any container including the primary. What are the scientific processes that bring about a good head / mouthfeel?

Translation for UK brewers: dishwashing liquid = Fairy liquid. "For hands that do dishes" of course.

I use a dishwasher, just like the pubs. This isn't just that the glasses aren't right. There is no inkling of any head, anywhere, whatsoever, in any container including the primary. What are the scientific processes that bring about a good head / mouthfeel?

Are you calling me a Fairy!?:cross:

Head formation/retention, AKA foam stability, is the result of proteins in a certain size range being carried to the top of the beer by CO2 coming out of solution. If you're an extract brewer, I'm afraid I can't be of much help since I've never brewed extract. But there are some serious extract brewers on here who can help.

If you think it's too thin, more dextrins would help. I only know how to get that by mashing at a higher temperature, though, so if you're doing extract that I'm not sure what the best course of action would be.

If you think it's too thin, more dextrins would help. I only know how to get that by mashing at a higher temperature, though, so if you're doing extract that I'm not sure what the best course of action would be.

If you're adding dextrose (Muntons Beer Enhancer), that will probably thin the body. Adding malto-dextrin would help with body. Not sure about the head retention though with just extracts.

Try dropping an expensive piece of jewelery in the primary.

Back