Keggin Phase 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysos911

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of beer last night and it's in primary ferment for a couple weeks. Of course I am already thinking about bottling/kegging. I am thinking I want to go the keg route but can't afford the full setup yet so I am thinking of getting this:

Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System- with Reconditioned CO2 Tank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

then storing the whole thing in my fridge until I see a good deal on a mini fridge to convert. Any thoughts on converting that to a tower at some point in the future? Or any thoughts to help out a complete newbie in general?

Thanks!

I have the exact same set up and love it. I have it all set up in a keezer with the picnic taps and will be switching to a tower soon.

Im not understanding your question about converting it though. Do you mean can the picnic taps be taken off and a tower added? If so then yes.
I just brewed my first batch of beer last night and it's in primary ferment for a couple weeks. Of course I am already thinking about bottling/kegging. I am thinking I want to go the keg route but can't afford the full setup yet so I am thinking of getting this:

Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System- with Reconditioned CO2 Tank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

then storing the whole thing in my fridge until I see a good deal on a mini fridge to convert. Any thoughts on converting that to a tower at some point in the future? Or any thoughts to help out a complete newbie in general?

Thanks!

I have the exact same set up and love it. I have it all set up in a keezer with the picnic taps and will be switching to a tower soon.

Im not understanding your question about converting it though. Do you mean can the picnic taps be taken off and a tower added? If so then yes.

Yeah that was what I was asking. Doing more reading I am actually considering going the keezer option. Wouldn't a keezer freeze the lines or can most be turned down to just above freezing?

Yeah that was what I was asking. Doing more reading I am actually considering going the keezer option. Wouldn't a keezer freeze the lines or can most be turned down to just above freezing?

If you make a keezer you will need a temp controller from Ranco or Johnson to prevent any freezing. This would also give you a huge temp range to work with. If you have the space for a keezer do it. Think ahead and go as big as you can from the beginning. Extra keg space is a good thing.:mug:

If you make a keezer you will need a temp controller from Ranco or Johnson to prevent any freezing. This would also give you a huge temp range to work with. If you have the space for a keezer do it. Think ahead and go as big as you can from the beginning. Extra keg space is a good thing.:mug:

I like the idea of a kreezer but the issue is that ideally I would like it to front load to work much better in my bar setup (pic below).. Also, what is up with the collar? Is that put in just make make more height for the kegs or can you not mount the taps directly to the side of the freezer?

bar-closed.jpg

I'd like to have the keg taps dispense about where the glass front fridge is so I'd need to either come up with a pullout solution for the unit to access the top or stick to a front loader.

I'm thinking mini fridge... That, or take out the inside of the bottom, and put a support rail in the back, and get a freezer that will fit in between there. That way your setup will straddle the keezer. Then you can forgo the shelf on top of the keezer, or get appliance rollers to slide it out and top load it... Mostly just thinking out loud :)

I'm thinking mini fridge... That, or take out the inside of the bottom, and put a support rail in the back, and get a freezer that will fit in between there. That way your setup will straddle the keezer. Then you can forgo the shelf on top of the keezer, or get appliance rollers to slide it out and top load it... Mostly just thinking out loud :)

So I measured the space in the bar set. If I remove the shelf I have about 38h x 24w 21d .. Most of the the kreezer setups would be an inch or so too wide. Depth I am not too concerned about since I would have to have it stick out a bit anyway to setup a roller system. So it looks like I am stuck with either kegerator or kreezer outside the bar unit. Luckely I am broke so I have time to think on it :)

Side note, what is the purpose of the collar on a kreezer?

So I measured the space in the bar set. If I remove the shelf I have about 38h x 24w 21d .. Most of the the kreezer setups would be an inch or so too wide. Depth I am not too concerned about since I would have to have it stick out a bit anyway to setup a roller system. So it looks like I am stuck with either kegerator or kreezer outside the bar unit. Luckely I am broke so I have time to think on it :)

Side note, what is the purpose of the collar on a kreezer?

3 things typically.
1. You cant drill into the walls as they may have coolant lines running through them
2. To raise the height of the chest freezer so that additional corny kegs can fit on the compressor hump
3. Raise the height of the faucets to make for a more comfortable pour :drunk:

Aww, makes sense. Now it looks like my best option is a sanyo or similar fridge to convert and add taps to the door. Only will be able to get 2 beers on tap for now but I can expand and make a new setup when I eventually move into a place with more room.

the keezer "project" is not hard at all. Dont let the work scare you off. I just did mine last weekend. The only reason i dont have pics up is becuase they sent me the perlicks without the handles instead of the ones that come with it. :(

I have the same system and it has worked very well. Check all the hose fittings before you hook it up though. All 4 of my gas hose fittings leaked initially.

If you're looking for a good deal on a fridge to convert check out my latest post.

Oster 5.0cf fridge

It's on sale at best buy for $159 in the store. There is someone who posted conversion instructions on this forum for these if you search for it.

What's behind that wall?

Just curious.. Could have HUGE keezer behind it and run taps to your bar :)

There are also conversions (typically for fermentation, but could be used for serving) taking a mini fridge, and adding a insulated chamber to it to increase the size. Could do this and make it full bar width if you're a DIY'er. It will put a little more stress on the compressor, but with proper circulation should hold up well.

Just thinking of other options:mug:

What's behind that wall?

Just curious.. Could have HUGE keezer behind it and run taps to your bar :)

There are also conversions (typically for fermentation, but could be used for serving) taking a mini fridge, and adding a insulated chamber to it to increase the size. Could do this and make it full bar width if you're a DIY'er. It will put a little more stress on the compressor, but with proper circulation should hold up well.

Just thinking of other options:mug:

Unfortunately behind that wall (where I now live, old pic) is the outside so can't really do that. But I DO appreciate the enthusiasm! I am thinkin just a sanyo conversion for now. Maybe in the future sell that off and build a keezer when I have more room.

Back