American IPA Huma Me - Short's Huma Lupa Licious inspired IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.014-1.017
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
SRM 14
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 dry hopped
Additional Fermentation
4 days cold crashed
Tasting Notes
Very bitter IPA with a strong malt backbone. Not a perfect clone, but gets the idea.
I emailed Joe from Short's, asking him to help me with this recipe. Of course, Huma Lupa Licious is his baby, and I was sure he wasn't going to give me any specifics. But, this is what he did share in his reply:

Hey Todd. I'm not sure if the home brew supply shops have enough hops available for purchase. But here goes. We shoot for a copper to light amber colored wort about 16.8 plato 4 to 5 different malts. Our Huma specs out at 125 IBU's (4 varieties). There are 4 kettle additions 60 min, 30 min, 10 min and flame out plus one massive dry hop. we dry hop at a rate of 1lb./31 gal. thats roughly equal to the first two kettle additions. Our total hops for huma average 3 lbs. per barrel (31 gal.). Good luck!

Armed with this info, I put this recipe together. I brewed it about a month ago, and just poured the first pint from the keg last night. It's pretty nice, if you're a hop head like me. In fact, it might be the best brew I've made yet - if only because my process has been getting better with each batch. It didn't hurt that for inspiration, I had a keg of Short's Huma in the kegerator while formulating and brewing this batch. ;)

Grain Bill:
11Lbs American 2 row Pale Ale 78.6%
1.5Lbs Crystal 60L 10.7%
1Lb Munich (Light) 7.1%
.5Lb CaraVienne 3.6%
Hops:
1.75oz Columbus (60 min.)
2oz Amarillo (30 min).
2oz Centennial (10 min).
1oz Cascade (0 min).
2oz Columbus (Dry hop)
2oz Cascade (Dry hop)

Water adjustments to match as close as possible Mosher's Ideal IPA.
Mash@152, 60 minutes.

If you try it, I hope you like it. It's worth it, IMO.

Thanks for posting, I love Huma Lupa. Joe was much more forthcoming with you. I emailed him last summer and he gave me no details whatsoever. I'll have to brew up a test batch of this soon.

DSCN1907.jpg

Left: Shorts Huma Lupa Licious from the bottle.
Right: The Huma inspired 'clone' from this thread.

Somethings not quite right. Here's a picture of me drinking a Huma from my Keg....

image-800.jpg

That's a lot closer to what I remember the color being. And I have this photo as a memory aid.

Not sure what's going on with the bottles I bought, but they are way lighter in color.

Taste wise, I didn't get the bittering I was after and due to that, It's a bit too malty. Rather than cut back on the malt, I'll up the bittering addition.

Adjustments for next batch: Kick the bittering addition up to 2oz., and maybe the flavoring addition up to 3.

All in all, this is a really nice drinking IPA. With a little more balance, it's going to be a winner.

I'm not surprised that Joe gave you that info. My brother in law lived up in Bellaire for a few years and Shorts was his stomping ground. Joe would often be sitting at the bar having a beer. I had a few conversations with him before I realized that he was the owner. Super nice guy. You also have to love that the name of everything on their menu is inspired by a Ween song.

My brother in law helped him brew for awhile. He told me that the biggest thing he taught him was to use twice as many hops as you think you need to.

Just brewed my third batch of this today. Cut the bittering hop down by .25 oz. This is a great beer if you like the bitter ones... Great malt bill to back it up, too.....

Did you cut it down from the original recipe or from your second batch after you upped it?

Did you cut it down from the original recipe or from your second batch after you upped it?

I actually went in with 1.5oz on this batch. I never actually tried the version with 2oz. I made this batch to share with friends who are beer geeks, but not actually huge over-the-top hop heads, so I decided to tone it down just a bit.

I also learned that this should really be 'fresh' off the dry hop.

I let the first batch sit in the fermenter for twelve days before dry hopping for four days, followed by four more days of cold crashing (8 days total on the dry hop).

The second batch I dry hopped at about day four (tail end of fermentation), and then let it sit on the dry hop for fifteen days with the final four days being cold crashed.

The aroma for batch two was really lacking compared to the first batch.

Hey, saw this thread AWHILE ago, and wrote Short's asking for a homebrew sized recipe. Literally took 8 months to get a response (assumed they didn't want to give any info out and forgot about it)

This is what Tony Hansen from Shorts wrote

"Hi Alan,

I heard you would like to take a stab at brewing some Huma, so here you go, this should get you pretty close.

Mash at 152 with hard water
7.5# 2 row
.5# wheat
.5# victory
.5# ash mild
.25# carmel 40

60 min 1.25 oz of Colombus or Warrior or Zeus at 14%aa
30 min 1 oz of Fuggle or Chinook at 11% aa
10 min .75 oz of Cascade or Centennial
flameout .75 oz of Cascade or Glacier
Dryhop 1.75 oz blend of Cascade, Centennial, Palisade, Glacier

American Ale yeast

Good Luck!"

Can't wait to brew this! But it will be a while. Too damn cold for me here in Michigan to brew outside. If anybody tries this, post your thoughts!

Alan

Great info, thanks for posting. Interesting, but 9.5# will not get you anywhere close on gravity. You will need to bump up the malt bill to around 15#s. the hop schedule is nice to see, pretty close to the original post. I just made the original and kegged it last night waiting for it to carb up. It was a very tasty sample. Nice to see recipes without use of the hops that will be in short supply this year.

Hey, saw this thread AWHILE ago, and wrote Short's asking for a homebrew sized recipe. Literally took 8 months to get a response (assumed they didn't want to give any info out and forgot about it)

This is what Tony Hansen from Shorts wrote

"Hi Alan,

I heard you would like to take a stab at brewing some Huma, so here you go, this should get you pretty close.

Mash at 152 with hard water
7.5# 2 row
.5# wheat
.5# victory
.5# ash mild
.25# carmel 40

60 min 1.25 oz of Colombus or Warrior or Zeus at 14%aa
30 min 1 oz of Fuggle or Chinook at 11% aa
10 min .75 oz of Cascade or Centennial
flameout .75 oz of Cascade or Glacier
Dryhop 1.75 oz blend of Cascade, Centennial, Palisade, Glacier

American Ale yeast

Good Luck!"

Can't wait to brew this! But it will be a while. Too damn cold for me here in Michigan to brew outside. If anybody tries this, post your thoughts!

Alan

This thread has been dead for some time now. However, I'd like to resurrect it for a moment because this is one of my favorite beers, and now that I live a great distance from MI I'd like to try my hand at making it.

My question regarding the above-quoted post is "What is the batch size for this recipe?"

The next person that posted said that this would need something like a 15 lb. malt bill to come close to the gravity. Based on this and some of the other clones out there I'm left to think the quoted recipe has something like a 2 or 2.5 gallon batch size. Following the obvious math of this leads to a 18.50 lb. malt bill and a 11.00 oz. hop sched. I think this makes sense given the hop schedule is roughly between tamoore's initial clone and third batch recommendations and given tamoore's suggestions to up the flavoring could come close to the 18.50 lb. malt bill.

Really the only way to know is to brew up a batch, which I guess I'll get cracking on... but if anyone has any additional ideas, I'd greatly appreciate them!

Yeah I want to go for this on my next brew day. I would like to figure out Huma because I want to ultimately clone Liberator and I think Liberator is just the double IPA version of Huma. It will brob happen next month but let's see if we can get a solid huma down.

One thing I am shocked over is the lack of rye malts. I always thought that I got a rye spice from it but maybe those dry hops like Palisade are doing it.

Back