Yankee Enginuity IV- Fall Foliage Session 2007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I have started planning the Fall Foliage session for Yankee Enguinity. My Fall schedule is pretty tight at this point. I'm offering up a few dates to host the 4th
New England Brew session for those in the HB Talk Community.

Here is what is open for me 9/16, 10/6, 10/14. I'd even consider doing a session early in the day on 9/22 before the Green River Beer Festival. We can discuss the reality of that here.

We should probably get started no later then 11:00am. Feel free to arrive earlier if you need additional time. I'd be happy to supply some stuff to grill for lunch. Please bring potluck side dishes.

Bring your own equipment to brew yourself. There will be plenty of room in the backyard to accommodate 8-10 brewers.

I will have my Imperial Stout on tap, as well as whatever else is in the fridge. Possibly my Bohemian Pilzner, and Amarillo Ale. You might even get a taste of the IIPA which is like liquid crack. :drunk:

My Barley Crusher spits about 75% efficiency which you are welcome to use for miling your grist. I do have an extra kettle, and makeshift mashtun, as well as a lauter tun. I have access to FRESH 1056 American Ale yeast if you need yeast, just give me a heads up, so that I can make arrangements for it to be here.

If anyone is interested I can also make arrangements for a private tour of Mcneills NEW Brewery if it is in operation.

Cheers!

Definately interested. The morning of the 22nd is probably out, as I was planning to bring SWMBO along, and I can't imagine her wanting to hang out for five hours while I brew.

I should be able to go, as long as the wife doesn't freak out again that I am spending so much time doing beer related things.

I may have to bow out of the Green River festival to make time for this one, that is unless it happens on the 22nd. No nevermind to me, I'd probably enjoy this one more.

My brew rig is now too big for my car, but I may instead slum it and do an extract recipe. This will give me a perfect excuse to brew up a gluten-free beer. I was hoping to take advantage of the fresh yeast, but the gluten-free yeast deal confuses me. Does yeast produce gluten? If so, how? It makes no sense to me.

The gluten issue with the yeast is that the solution the yeast is suspended in (I guess it's technically a wort) is itself gluten-free.

I guess I should check what time the beer fest starts. If that's the day that works best for everyone, I'll leave the wife at home and come by myself (or ride up with 2nd Street) so that I can brew that day, too. I'm just worried, personally, about driving a couple hours, brewing for five hours, THEN hitting a festival and drinking myself silly... I'm too old for that!

Aha, that makes more sense. I wonder if I can get away with dry yeast, not that it really matters at that point. If gluten-free american ale is the only choice, that shoots the idea of doing a sorghum triple.

IIRC the GF liquid yeast is grown in a medium of molasses, while the regular liquid yeast is grown in a wort solution.
The dry yeast is your best bet for avoiding the gluten content all together.

Oh, and Glib, I'd love to see Ray's operations, if that can be arranged. I might actually have a reasonably intelligent question to ask him this time! Now that I've sampled his wares, I pick up his beers whenever I can; both his ESB and his Ruby Ale are in my all-time Top 10.

Has a date been decided on yet??? I couldn't do the brew followed by the beer fest followed by the drive home:drunk: I'm too old for that. Who's going to the fest by the way? I'm still trying to talk the old lady into going so she can drive my sorry ass home.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Has a date been decided on yet??? I couldn't do the brew followed by the beer fest followed by the drive home:drunk: I'm too old for that. Who's going to the fest by the way? I'm still trying to talk the old lady into going so she can drive my sorry ass home.

Not sure if wifey's going to come over or not, and haven't heard from Chill. If there's room, you're welcome to take half of the ride over with me.

At this point any weekend except 9/16 is good for me. I will try and drag my brew buddies with me this time.

Hey Boys!

I unfortunately think that both 9/22 and 9/29 would both be bad for me. Other than that, I am totally interested in this.

Beauty.

That other thing - the beer festival on 9/22 - should I be buying tix in advance, or will it be fine to just show up on the day?

if it is on for 10/06 I can go.

In fact, I casually mentioned to SWMBO that there was a bunch of folks I have never met in person getting together to brew and I was considering going...

She told me to GO. Not sure what that means but... I'm in as far as I can see. ;)

I'll check back in to see if it is a go still. What do you folks usually bring to these?

Does anybody have a spare propane burner? Who had the extras last time? I'm thinking of decocting a weizenbock or a dopplebock, so it would be nice to be able to be warming up water on one burner while doing the decoction on the other. I'm temped to try and sneak a purchase of a small burner past the SWMBO (was going to do it this morning, but she came along to the Depot with me), but if someone had a extra "loaner", that would be even better.

As far as I know, I can make the 6th. I should be able to bring an extra burner, or else drop off a few if I can't attend.

No can do on the 6th - Saturdays in general are no go for me. That's one of my 'daddy' days, and I don't trade those unless it's an emergency! Have fun, guys! :mug:

We are on for 10/6/07
I scrolled through the thread and the current head count look like this:
The_bird
Vermicous
Knights of Gambrinus
2nd Street
Hippie

I could probably fit a few more people in my backyard so let me know if you are interested.
I'm planning on mashing in around 8:00am in order to get a head start on the day, and afford myself the ability to be an adequate host, and hang out instead of holding up in the basement. :p It would be great if everyone could get started by 11:00am at the latest.
Ray McNeill will be providing a private tour of his brewery that day. We'll just need to schedule a time that fits with brewing schedule.

Bird if you are doing that decoction, you may want to get a head-start due to the time factor required.:eek:

If you're going to be mashing in at 8:00, I'll probably leave the house around 6:30 - 7:00 and get there a bit after 8:00. Unless 2nd Street comes along and wants to drive up together, then I'll wait for him.

I believe evanmars is planning on making the trip over now, too.

the_bird said:
If you're going to be mashing in at 8:00, I'll probably leave the house around 6:30 - 7:00 and get there a bit after 8:00. Unless 2nd Street comes along and wants to drive up together, then I'll wait for him.

I believe evanmars is planning on making the trip over now, too.

Yes, count me in.

I have been invited by Dave Brush to attend... I will be delivering a boil kettle to him at this time. Is there a general time frame for activities /brewing/eating/sampling/tour I too have activities scheduled for that weekend and would like to plan a schedule in advance. Brewing buddy may attend as well.

TIA

Randy

I'm getting stoked for this. End up with yesterday afternoon off, so I got to bottle with the toddler, the first thing I've done homebrew-related (besides drink) in months. Cassie stuck her head over the bottling bucket as I was racking, too in a big breath, and exclaimed "Yummy, yummy! Cassie like beer!"

I don't know what time I will be coming by, or even if I will be. I am helping organize a pig roast on the 7th and today I have been told that the primary pig is not big enough and another has been found. Of course it's from a farm that I am friendly with, so I have to help get the pig ready on the 6th.

Unless I tell them to sit on it and spin, the time for which is rapidly approaching.

I've been assured that I can pick up the pig early morning, so it looks like noonish I may be able to get to Vermont. I'm doing a 5 gallon extract, so I don't need a lot of time anyway. If we could do the McNeill tour sometime after noon, that would be great. However, if that proves difficult, I can miss it without issue.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

JadedDog's gonna be at a wedding reception over in Keene; I saw we brew, get trashed at McNeill's, then go crash the reception! :D

Back