Another Cooper's question... IPA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arundel

Reaction score
Not sure if I messed up or not, but I have a Coopers kit, I bought their IPA kit which came with the concentrate, dextrose, and malt. Being a friggin' n00b, I just mixed all the ingredients(in the boiling water as directed) and pitched my yeast. I got action almost immediately...I mean within 30 minutes I had bubbling in the airlock. The next day it was actually percolating!!! THEN>>>..I went back and looked at the directions...it said to use 300grams of dextrose and 500 grms of the malt.....umh..I used it ALL. The whole kg of dextrose along with 500 grams of malt!!
Did I mess up?...or is it just gonna be a stronger brew of IPA??...

Sorry to freak and ask such silly questions, but I'm new to this...

Not sure if I messed up or not, but I have a Coopers kit, I bought their IPA kit which came with the concentrate, dextrose, and malt. Being a friggin' n00b, I just mixed all the ingredients(in the boiling water as directed) and pitched my yeast. I got action almost immediately...I mean within 30 minutes I had bubbling in the airlock. The next day it was actually percolating!!! THEN>>>..I went back and looked at the directions...it said to use 300grams of dextrose and 500 grms of the malt.....umh..I used it ALL. The whole kg of dextrose along with 500 grams of malt!!
Did I mess up?...or is it just gonna be a stronger brew of IPA??...

Sorry to freak and ask such silly questions, but I'm new to this...

I brewed that kit a couple of years ago and did the same thing. Dumped everything in....and it came out great. Relax. It's really hard to screw up a Coopers beer kit. LOL!!!

I just made Cooper's IPA for my 3rd batch tonight.

You didn't pitch your yeast in near boiling water did you? I hope that you waited for it to cool off a bit. Ideally you should pitch the yeast into the wort when it's 70-80F. It will be ok if it's a little warmer than that. I learned this the hard way on my last batch and it's turning out ok. (with some banana esters that won't bother me much).

Thanks,...I figured it would be ok but I wanted to ask.

JGB, no it wasn't too hot when I pitched. It was at the top end, for sure(28C). I put an LSU hoodie over the fermenter to help it hold its warmth and it is staying at 26C so far. Still percolating like mad.
Man, I can't wait!!! I hope this stuff is good. Ima sho 'nuff IPA nut!!

Thanks,...I figured it would be ok but I wanted to ask.

JGB, no it wasn't too hot when I pitched. It was at the top end, for sure(28C). I put an LSU hoodie over the fermenter to help it hold its warmth and it is staying at 26C so far. Still percolating like mad.
Man, I can't wait!!! I hope this stuff is good. Ima sho 'nuff IPA nut!!

you should definitely take that hoody off, 26C is at least 6C too high. Also, if you boiled the 500g of malt then your definitely going to have a very astrigent beer

you should definitely take that hoody off, 26C is at least 6C too high. Also, if you boiled the 500g of malt then your definitely going to have a very astrigent beer

Just out of curiosity.....how does boiling malt make for an "astringent" beer? Every beer kit and recipe I've ever made called for boiling the DME for at least 15 minutes. Sometimes a half hour to 45 minutes.

extract gets boiled, not malt (grains). malt should never be in water above 170F otherwise you extract tannins and create astrigency.

extract gets boiled, not malt (grains). malt should never be in water above 170F otherwise you extract tannins and create astrigency.

Interesting. I'll have to research that one a little. I just made a Belgian Strong Ale about a month ago and the recipe called for the DME to be added to the final 15 minutes of the boil. This was a Northern Brewer kit.

well crap!....this is getting worse. It was a dry malt extract and I didn't boil it at all. I just dissolved it in about a gallon of boiling water along with the dextrose..

ok I think we are just having a terminology breakdown here. im referring to malt as the actual grains, not the DME/LME. in the OP, I assumed the concentrate mentioned was the extract and the 500g of malt mentioned was grains. was there any actual grains in the kit?

well crap!....this is getting worse. It was a dry malt extract and I didn't boil it at all. I just dissolved it in about a gallon of boiling water along with the dextrose..

Sounds like you did it right! As I recall, the instructions call for dumping the malt and dextrose into the fermenter and then pouring your boiling water in on top of them and then swirling the hell out of your fermenter until they're thoroughly mixed. Then you "top off" with cool water.

You'll be fine. When I do a Coopers kit I normally boil the DME and sugar together and then add the can of liquid extract when I turn off the flame. You can get away with not boiling the other ingredients as long as the water is good and hot.

ok I think we are just having a terminology breakdown here. im referring to malt as the actual grains, not the DME/LME. in the OP, I assumed the concentrate mentioned was the extract and the 500g of malt mentioned was grains. was there any actual grains in the kit?

LOL! Yeah, I think you're right. We were talking about Dry Malt Extract. I can see that extract and all-grain brewers have slightly different terminologies. No harm, no foul.

Back