What Temp is Safe for a glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
I was listening to the pod cast with the guy from Star San. He said PBW, Oxiclean, basically any cleaner will work better between 120 - 140 degrees F. I assume that would be pretty close to my hot water out of the tap. Sp I was wondering what temp is safe to clean a glass carboy? If I pour in 5 gallons of 120 degree water, am I in any danger of shattering it?

I cant imagine so. I fill my carboy with hot water directly from the tap, and I have some very hot tap water. You probably wouldnt want to dump ice water in it immediately afterwards, but simply putting hot tap water into it shouldnt cause it to fracture.

Only if the carboy was outside in sub-zero temperatures and you poured in hot water.

122F is my tap water and it goes into room temperature glass carboys all the time.

I am one of the few that use bleach as my primary cleaner, and for that I use cold water until it comes time to rinse. Then I use tap water at 130f to rinse off the bleach.
Ramping the temps up little by little will help to keep down stress fractures on glass. Sudden temperture changes should be avoided at all cost on glass.

No problems with my 138f tap water. Works for better bottles also, just don't go up to 175f, ask me how I know.:eek:

Back