PID with a serial port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenh

Reaction score
Just curious, is anyone using a PID with a serial port?

nope, my pid's work with just wire in and outputs, do you have one with a serial port? got a model I can look up, it sounds advanced

I'd be curious what you're trying to do with the serial connection. The PID itself is designed to be a self-contained computer that is good at one specific task. I believe the only 'output' you'll find on most common pids is the Alarm1 and Alarm2 output for temperature.

I've heard of models that allow RS485 communication. You pay considerably more for them. I think they are mainly useful for data logging.

I've heard of models that allow RS485 communication. You pay considerably more for them. I think they are mainly useful for data logging.

You can do a lot more with RS485 or RS232 than just data logging, you can take over full control of a PID that's Modbus capable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modbus

I've played with the idea of automation and I've seen a lot of projects on this site and other places on the web. But I have not seen anyone include PID temperature control in their project which makes me thing they are just managing temperature like a thermostat. With one of these controllers you could have the best of all worlds - you could automate your process while handing off temperature control to whichever PID you were talking to. The PID would do what it does best - manage the temperature of your mash or whatever.

I am, if an Arduino with a PID-library is counted? Actually I've two PID's in a cascade. The serial is used to control and monitor temperatures + if needed changing the PID parameters.

You can do a lot more with RS485 or RS232 than just data logging, you can take over full control of a PID that's Modbus capable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modbus

That's why I said "mainly" :D

If you care to poke around on my blog (links below) you might find that I have done development work on an open source PID controller with a serial interface that would allow you to program a temperature profile for step mashing or fermentation control.

There are lots of people on this forum using PID in creative ways for brewing, if you look around.

Check out the SOLO PIDs from automation direct. I have one and find that configuring it over the Serial port with their software is much easier to enter ramp and soak profiles than using the front panel interface.

Back