Dixie Cup 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thakaz

Reaction score
It's early, I know. Been brewing for about a year now, and a buddy and myself are going to start working on a few recipes for the upcoming Dixie Cup. Anyone have any pointers?

Also, when is it this year? My son's 1st birthday is on Oct. 12th and I'm really hoping it's not that weekend.

I thought the same thing. Then I went to the Foam Rangers page and the events page is under construction; most google results are articles from the 2009 cup. I'll just check with the guys at Defalcos next time I'm there and update this thread for anyone else who's interested in entering.

Did you get some good feedback from the judges?

I actually did. It was a lot better than saint Arnold BBBB. I got third place for my Apfelwien and I was really happy.

It gave me good pointers for the others I submitted. It helped me tweak some of my recipes for future remake. (Already remarking two of my beers I entered). Entered two meads, three beers and two ciders. For my jalapeno/cucumber one of the judges said there is too much jalapeno and the other said to much cucmber lol. I don't know what to do with it :ban:

Dixie and Bluebonnet are two competitions I have felt I always get great feedback on entries. Yeah, you may get the new guy/novice that is somewhat "in-training" on judging, but you're almost guaranteed to always get at least one sheet that is BJCP Recognized or higher judge.

I'm a part of the Foam Rangers. We lost a big chunk of our server and database
so we are having to build it up from backups for Dixiecup. That's why our site says under construction now. We are diligently planning this years Dixiecup though and hope to have dates nailed down soon.

I went to the Dixie Cup last year, and if I remember right it's the 3rd weekend in October. Gonna go again - Thursday is welcome social gathering, Friday is real nice pot luck dinner, Saturday is awards and beer pairing dinner. There's also speakers Saturday morning and a pub crawl that afternoon (with chartered busses - so DUI).
See you there!

I do hope to make it down, finally, for a Dixie Cup. Maybe this will be the year, since I won't be able to "enjoy" Bluebonnet to it's fullest this year. :tank:

2013 Dixie Cup Schedule

September 20 Early Entry Deadline DeFalco's
September 21 Dixie Cup Sorting Saint Arnold
September 27 Late Entry Deadline DeFalco's
September 28 Dixie Cup Sorting Saint Arnold
September 29 First Round Judging Saint Arnold
October 1 First Round Judging Saint Arnold
October 6 First Round Judging Saint Arnold
October 8 First Round Judging Saint Arnold
October 13 First Round Judging Saint Arnold
October 15 First Round Judging Saint Arnold
October 17 Dixie Cup XXX Crowne Plaza NW
October 18 Dixie Cup XXX Crowne Plaza NW
October 19 BJCP Written Exam Crowne Plaza NW
October 19 Dixie Cup XXX Crowne Plaza NW

Thank you for the dates.
Do you know if there are certain requirements such as style, procedure (ag, pm), amount to provide for judging, etc?

Thanks in advance!

If they don't take mail in entries and all your paperwork is in order, you can send me 4. I'll drink one and turn the rest when I drop off my entry.

Ha!

Sounds good. I'm actually moving to houston in 2015 so will be good to get a feel for the regional preferences of the judges.

I've competed in many Dixie cups over the years, I believe this year will the 30th. I came in third place back in the 80's but no show last year. It's a great event and will definitely be there this year.

Asked Bev (the Grand Wazoo) on Facebook and his response was, "We'll get entries online as soon as we're able. Which should be soon.. we're trying a new system, so we are trying to get it right."

Wolfbayne,

My apologies. You must have been one of the people that "snuck-in" while admin was testing the system out. The official opening entry date will be 9/2/13.

To explain our unusual delay: We've had a to rebuild our website, and competition entry system from scratch this year. We had the unfortunate death of the long time member who handled all of our IT work, which included the custom competition website, general website, mailing list, etc. So we are doing the best we can with the resources we have.

But please come back on Monday (9/2/13). We are very close to releasing everything.

The main competition webpage is still:
http://dixiecup.foamrangers.com/

The entry registration link will be available here when ready:
http://dixiecup.foamrangers.com/online.html

The store for payments for club membership/entry, our pubcrawl, and pre-ordering T-Shirts, etc. is up and ready here:
http://store.foamrangers.com

Thank you for your patience. If anyone has specific questions that haven't been answered yet, please post here or contact me the email address below.

Thakaz - Mr Sir - you have a complementary membership and admission. Sorry to have hijacked this thread. You beat me to starting my own. Please contact me here at willpower71. Thanks bro!

Will
Dixie Cup Coordinator
[email protected]

Back