cider bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
I posted this in the beginner brewer section, then found this forum...figured it would be better here.

I made some apple cider and it is ready to bottle. Only problem is, I dont wanna use my beer bottles. Could I bottle this in gallon jugs and just put it in the fridge? Any thoughts?

I posted this in the beginner brewer section, then found this forum...figured it would be better here.

I made some apple cider and it is ready to bottle. Only problem is, I dont wanna use my beer bottles. Could I bottle this in gallon jugs and just put it in the fridge? Any thoughts?

Yep...you can use old PET 2 liter pop bottles if you want.

GeorgiaTiger said:

Depends if you are carbonating or keeping still. If carbonating, can the jugs sustain that pressure? Are they designed to hold pressure?

If your cider is to be still , should be no problem.

If your cider is done, especially if it's close to 1.000, you can definitely put it in glass and in the fridge for a long time. I've done it at 1.015 (after careful racking) and never had a problem.

Warm 2L soda bottles seem to hold a lot of pressure when first opened (even after shaking for a few seconds… because I like my soda still and gf w/a wet t-shirt!) A busted PET bottle with cider everywhere is a LOT better than a busted glass bottle with cider and glass everywhere. But, the PET bottles are permeable so, it’s a toss-up.

When in the fridge, cider is not going to carb. It clears in the fridge. If you take it out, then it builds pressure.

When in the fridge, cider is not going to carb. It clears in the fridge. If you take it out, then it builds pressure.
Umm… not from my experience. Give it time, some residual sugar and it’ll blow up faster than… “yup, your joke here”

Time ≈ 2-100 days …yes, also dependent on a lot of other factors: yeast, yeast stress, yeast strain, residual yeast, temp, residual fermentable sugar, moon cycle, luck and good will just to name a few… don’t forget about the dancing banana
:ban:

I just pulled a gallon jug out if the fridge that I had cold crashed for a week. When opened it was clearly carbonated. I'm just happy it didn't explode. Sitting right next to it was another gallon jug with nearly identical ingredients and the same yeast, ec1118, it had no carbonation what so ever

Latest posts

Back