1st Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
Well it was a Blur !!! You guys make this Sound & LQQk so easy !!!

A few Newbie mistakes here and there, just a lack of experience. I only managed a few pixs during the day.

Fermentation started with in the 1st 18hrs - Is this good ???

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/1s...tobucket.com/albums/l23/wonchie/hb6.jpg[/IMG]

Watch out for the POS probe thermometer. Turns out the probe isn't waterproof, but you can dry it out in the oven til you get a new one. I let mine submerge in the mash, next time it was off by 20+ degrees and I mashed at 120....didn't realize I had a problem til the OG was 30 points low.

Watch out for the POS probe thermometer. Turns out the probe isn't waterproof, but you can dry it out in the oven til you get a new one. I let mine submerge in the mash, next time it was off by 20+ degrees and I mashed at 120....didn't realize I had a problem til the OG was 30 points low.

Can you buy replacement ones ??? or is the whole unit no good the me ???

Check it in ice and/or boiling water without submerging bent section where the wire goes into probe (that's where the water gets in). If it reads 32/212 or close enough to make you happy, you're fine, just keep it from getting water/wort/whatever in there. If the reading is way off, stick the probe in the oven til you see liquid come out and then dry up. Re-check. I found a replacement probe with stainless wrapped wire, but it cost as much as this cheap POS did in the first place. Found a candy thermometer with pretty good analog dial and a 10" probe for under 10$ delivered. I'll get one of those til I decide I want something fancier.

TNGabe said:

Mine did that read 180degrees at room temp. Threw it away but I will say it had a nice timer. I knew it sounded too good to be true. Timer and thermometer that I can leave in my mash and have a reading from the outside lol

Back