Amarillo - armpit hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
I recently made an ipa that was all amarillo. Its not terrible, but i get an armpit armoma and flavor. Below is the recipe. any ideas?

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.7 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 4 55.9 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 24.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 9.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

mashed at 152. fermented a bit warm around 70 degrees with notti

Nottingham (to me) gives off a huge overripe apricot taste. If you fermented at 70, it was probably a few degees higher in fermenter. I bet those extra esters mixed with the hops are giving you a funky flavor.
I like how you say it tastes like armpit but it isnt bad :)

I make a 30IBU all Amarillo lightly smoked American Wheat that's dry hopped with 2 oz for 7 days. On the flavor side I got bit of what you're talking about early on but after sitting for a month it mellowed out and was nice. As far as aroma the Amarillo always smelled fantastic from the first bottle to the last, one of my favorite aroma hops.

I've never done first wort hopping but I wonder if you should start there, just do a 60 minute addition instead. Interested to see what you find.

I love amarillo... really unique, tastes almost malty to me, or like an extension of the malt flavor. I did make a belgian quad recently that smells like a goat pasture, but in a good way ;)

i just finished my fermentation chamber, so i think im going to try the exact same recipe again and ferment around 64 and see if that was the issue. i may also change to straight 60 minute addition instead of fwh

Fwiw, i always do a fwh on my hoppy beers because i tend to have less of a long bitter aftertaste than when doing a straight 60 min addition.
Not saying not to just do a boil addition, just dont give up on fwh and i wouldnt change your recipe or additions times until you tried the same batch way cooler. I bet you will see a big difference

I'm doing an amarillo IPA, now. I've been doing smash beers for a bit but decided to add a bit of 120L to the 2-row, and gonna do some Valencia orange peel at the end. Thought I'd experiment a little. Any thoughts on the citrus flavor in an IPA?

fermented a bit warm around 70 degrees with notti

That is the problem right there.

I love Amarillo hops. They are good by themself or they also play well with others. Amarillo/Somcoe is a great combo. I also do a brew with Amarillo/Citra...yum

Back