What are my options?? If any...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgriff00

Reaction score
I brewed a AIPA last night and missed my OG by ~.12. First time for me and I didn't have any DME on hand (I know, rookie mistake). So my question to all is what options do I have here? I was planning on maybe dropping some Honey after a few more days of primary ferm. Has anyone used honey in an IPA? Anyone have any other ideas. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Griff

Change the name of the beer. Seriously, you don't say what the OG was, but it is possible you will still have a very good beer that will be more of a standard APA rather than an IPA.

Adding honey will boost your alcohol level, but won't bring you closer to the AIPA style. It's just a different flavor profile. I personallly wouldn't do it.

Alternatively, if you have a LHBS, go get some DME or LME, boil it in a fairly high concentration and add it, if you really want that extra .12.

Change the name of the beer. Seriously, you don't say what the OG was, but it is possible you will still have a very good beer that will be more of a standard APA rather than an IPA.

I disagree. A weak IPA isn't a APA because the hop bitterness will be way high for an APA. So either you call it a weak IPA or an overhopped APA...either way its still off.

Adding honey will boost your alcohol level, but won't bring you closer to the AIPA style. It's just a different flavor profile. I personallly wouldn't do it.
I agree

Alternatively, if you have a LHBS, go get some DME or LME, boil it in a fairly high concentration and add it, if you really want that extra .12.

I agree this is probably your best option.

Or rdwhahb, unless you are serving it to beer judges, I doubt anyone will call you out on ipa, apa or other style.

Thanks for the replies. Hurried thru the original post and didn't give specifics, apologies. Target OG was 1.060 and only got 1.048. I wasn't all that timid on the hops either. 1oz Apollo 18% @ 60 and 1oz Cascade 5% @15 and 1oz Cascade @ ~2-3min. Afraid this may be a little much for a beer at 1.048. Gonna go to AHS and grab some dme. I need some to have some on hand anyway. Again... Thanks for the replies.
Griff

Next time, it doesn't hurt to take a pre-boil gravity reading, adjusting for temp, and plan to boil for an extra 30 minutes if you think your OG is going to be low.

Originally Posted by hercher

I agree this is probably your best option.

I posited this as my last option largely because, not knowing where they OP lived, I wasn't sure if he HAD a lhbs. I don't have one, so something like that wouldn't be an option for me.

Hey hercher, mind sharing your wedding recipe? Any PA with your bride's namesake has to be great.

Hey hercher, mind sharing your wedding recipe? Any PA with your bride's namesake has to be great.

Happy to -- the beer is almost as beautiful as it's namesake (my niece)!

Base malt (I use Pearl) 12 lbs
Ashburne Mild 1 lb
Crystal/Caramel 40 .25 lb
Biscuit .5 lb

Hops:
Northern Brewer AA 8.6, 1 oz, 75 minutes
Cascade AA 7.5, 1 oz, 45 minutes
Cascade AA 7.5, 1 oz, 30 minutes
Cascade AA 7.5, 1 oz, knockout
Cascade AA 7.5, 1 oz dry hop in keg

Yeast: Wyeast 1332 NW Ale.

I've been making this beer for about 15 years now. It is the family favorite, partially for the name. It is the beer I make most often, and I don't mess with the recipe.

Let me know how you like it.

Happy to -- the beer is almost as beautiful as it's namesake (my niece)!

I had to do a double take, from reading two of the posts I thought you were getting married.... arrh! But then I realized the mistake:eek:.

I like the look of your brew, might give it a go, I just scored some 1332 and was looking for a recipe.:mug:

As for the OP I like my beers really hoppy so having 3oz of hops in a PA seems balanced to me? I think your good to let it ride.

Clem

Back