Meat, wow, meat, camping recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Just took delivery of 200lbs of meat... steaks, roasts, ground beef, chicken, pork, etc... For the first time I am using my freezer for FREEZING... ha ha what a concept! Just in time too, heading out on my first annual family camping expedition this coming week! Anyone have any good campfire recipes?

Pol

When camping, I cook like I do at home-grilling everything or using a crock pot (roasts) to go on a day trip away from camp. I use a small portable covered propane gas grill. Hot dogs get old quick!

If you want to lay back and drink and not hafta cook later, (or are going away from camp) we take ground beef, diced potatoes, carrots, onions, summer squash and zuccinni, and salt and pepper, maybe a dash of garlic powder, then double wrap it in heavy duty foil ('Nad Guard).
Make the packets about 1 pound total for each, about 1/3 meat-pattied. Spread the fire open exposing some coals and lay them in. I flip them in about 7-10 mins. and pull one at about 15-depending on how hot the fire is, how much veggies I put in the particular packets, etc. Dump on ketchup from fast food packets if out and way from camp, (like at beach) or eat plain. Best to err on the raw side until you get the hang of cooking in a fire, things can cook extremely fast if it's a real hot fire. You're gonna need hot pads, mitten type, and either a long stick and/or tongs.

It's been years since I camped but I remember my brother and his wife making an awesome stew from smoked sausage, onions, peppers, potatoes, water or maybe some stock and seasonings. I can get the specifics if you're interested. It was really good. My sister-in-law would throw it all together in a big stock pot and then set that over a rather low burning fire and let it cook all day.

If ya have a turkey fryer, then a Cajun boil is always a hit. Toss in some boneless chicken thighs, sausage chunks, red potatoes, onions, celery, & mini corn on the cobs with a bunch of Zatarain's. Works great and feeds a bunch, plus it goes great with beer.

Screw that yuppy crap.

Real Man Cooking Food:

Ingredients:
Steak
Bacon
Stick

Cut steak into cubes. Wrap with bacon. Put on a stick. Cook over campfire.

If you want to go sissy, use seasoning.

I second dutch ovens....they're awesome!

But foil is pretty cool too. I don't have any real recipes just put whatever you want in foil with the shiny side out, wrap it 3 times or so and cook away.

Also works on your exhaust manifold.....I just got to work and had a grilled cheese and turkey sandwich off of my manifold

I just made it back here-the intake manifold post takes me back. :D

I used to camp EVERY weekend. We'd get everything ready by Thursday so it could be just thrown into the vehicle Friday after work. It would take us at least 3 hours to get to the site (sometimes 12! U.P.) When we got there it would be dark or near to it, and we had to setup the camp or at least just the tent. With both of us (or 3 with the Kid), starved from not eating since lunch (but drinking :drunk: ), we would hit the chinese place during the day Friday, and wrap the egg rolls, shrimp and lobster sauce w/rice, and whatever she wanted, w/ rice in heavy foil, throw it on the intake, and when we got all done with the setup and building the fire, out would come the steaming chinese food.

Friggin' ROCKS to eat a warm hearty meal in the middle of the woods, with no effort, and no cleanup! Back in those days, intakes were flat and there was a lot of room. Doesn't work as well now...:mad:

I also subscribe to the foil oven technique for all camping food. This means you don't need any grates or pots and nothing to clean.

Individual chicken breasts in a doubled foil pouch with some BBQ sauce or Lawry's marinade of choice. Throw it in the coals for 5-10 minutes.

Steak, shishkabob style with bacon as mentioned.

Kielbasa and Brats on a stick are awesome.

You can wrap baking potatoes in doulbed foil and throw them in the coals. Takes about 25 minutes.

I also do single portion mixed veggies like that. A few drops of water and a pat of butter steams them nicely right in the foil.

Oh, marinated shrimp are also awesome this way... 3-4 minutes is all it takes.

Back