What the frigg is up with pro brewers and beards???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it like a cost of entry as a pro brewer that you grow a beard and resemble the UniBomber?

And c'mon, if I see one more dude wearing overalls...! :cross:

Whats the deal with the cereal named Grapenuts? You open the box and the cereal doesnt have any grapes or nuts in it!!

Beards are pretty popular within the beer geek groups as well. Its just part of the culture.

fastricky said:
Is it like a cost of entry as a pro brewer that you grow a beard and resemble the UniBomber?

And c'mon, if I see one more dude wearing overalls...! :cross:

Too busy brewing, no time to shave.

Razors or grain guess which one won?

As for the overalls...yep...Dickies.

Sorry, I now need to go have a beer since I am having some sort of "stereotype overload".

:mug:

I can't grow a beard, but beards are awesome.

Heck, even cats like them:

Yes, I'm well aware there are a number of snappy one liners that can complete this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the deal with Ovaltine? The mug is round, the jar is round.. they should call it roundtine.

Rockstars have long hair, hockey players have missing teeth, brewers have beards. As for the overalls they have a built in bib just in case you miss your mouth because of the beard.

Brewers have beards for sanitization purposes... Obv

Bibs are to hold hydrometers...

This thread should be under beginner brewer questions...

It's a known fact that most home brewers are mountain men, or want to be one....

Besides, shaving is dangerous when you're drunk..

Yup.....not a pro obviously.....but I am a pipe smoker, have a beard, and wear Carhartt bibs.

I just went to the first annual East Nashville beer fest. I thought I was at Woodstock.

It seems that most beer geeks/pros are slightly smelly hippies.:)

_

weirdboy said:
And what's with these tiny packets of peanuts on the airplane?

You still get peanuts on a plane? Those anaphylactic $*&$s took even those away from me ages ago!

And what the f*ck is up with everytime a brewer appears in a publication it's a shot of them raking the grain out of the mash tun. Geez, give me a break.

I know nothing about pro brewers. Bu tI do know something about beards.

dsc_0071.jpg

Also, +1 on the Viking beard. Can't make it lie down smooth to save my life.

Also note: I'm not raking grain out. I'm putting grain in.

I can't have a beard! I can however have a "non-eccentric" mustache. I'd just end up looking stupid if I tried, so for now I'm clean shaven.

Why cant soldiers have beards but sailors can ?

They use to be able to have beards. Mainly becasue they were not see by the general public much while on a ship, but they cannot have them now becasue of the Chem Warfare issue and the mask not sealing properly... The only time you see a beard on a military member now is becasue of a shavig waiver..
Yes beards are cool nd if my wife would not ***** i would have one.. I settle for a goattee now...

Iv'e worn a beard since 1976.... didn't start brewing until almost ten years later... "maybe the beard made me do it...."

Surely you've seen Brian Wilson's beard? The commercial shows the little people dancing around in the beard. Well those guys tug on the beard when it is time to add the hop additions, and no drunk brewer can make it without them. Problem solved.

I only have a goatee, but have been tempted to grow it out mountain man style. I've also thought about shaving it down to a nice Guy Fawkes style pointer and stache. I did it once and my wife wouldn't stop complaining about it. I thought it looked pretty sharp myself. I'll probably go ahead and pick up the overalls this weekend.

I was asked the same question cuz I have a beard and brew... and I have no answer I think as said before part of the culture.

Back