dry hopping a stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat

Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle a java stout this weekend... Can I benefit any by throwing some hops in Secondary fermenter for 3-4 days to dry hop?
I'd be using about 3/4 oz. of Cascade hops (real hops, no pellets)

Do you have flavor hops in this beer? It might be weird having aroma hops and no flavor hops. False advertising of sorts. Smells like citrus, tastes like coffee.

It's against style to dry hop a stout, but you can do it. Randy Mosher suggests it as an example of thumbing your nose at beer style purists.

Did you add actual java (coffee) to this beer? If so, I'd say hold off on the dry hopping. You want that coffee flavor and aroma to come through, dry hops might muddle it up. Even if there is no coffee in the stout, you might want to hold off.

How does the beer taste, is it clearly a stout? If it's already a good beer, might want to just let it be and save those cascades for next time.

But it's your beer, so do what you want!

Getting ready to bottle a java stout this weekend... Can I benefit any by throwing some hops in Secondary fermenter for 3-4 days to dry hop?
I'd be using about 3/4 oz. of Cascade hops (real hops, no pellets)

It comes down to what you like. There are lots of different types of stouts, but the unifying feature is forward dark roasted malt flavor. Most are relatively high in alcohol content, with the exception of Dry stouts and some Oatmeal stouts. But in my opinion the role of hops in stouts is generally to balance sweetness so would have mostly bittering additions and little aroma hops.

Many stouts are sweet from the high EtOH content and maltiness. Some even have non-fermentable sugars added to intientionally increase sweetness and mouth-feel. Dry hopping with cascade with it's crisp citrusy aroma might mask the malti-goodness, but again it comes down to what you prefer.

thanks for the input... Also have an ipa almost ready, I'll save the hops for that.

Back