How much dry yeast for smaller batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101DDD

Reaction score
Yes, yes, I've read the threads on dry vs. liquid, but this is a legit question/point. I don't want to buy a whole packet of liquid yeast and try to keep the leftover somehow :mad:, so the question is, if I'm making a smaller batch (say 2 gallons) how much of that dry yeast should I really use.

I haven't paid attention to this part of my brewing, so I just assumed drop the whole thing in....no?

I brew 2.5 gallon batches, and I have been using 11.5 oz. packs of Fermentis Safale US-05 mostly. Since one pack has enough yeast for 5g I use half a pack. I generally eyeball it. I have not had any problems with it. Most of the literature shows that it should enough yeast. I just fold the pack and staple it and store it in fridge.

dry is cheap enough so i drop the whole thing. if it's expensive dry, like saflager 34/70. i harvest. otherwise, it's around $2-3, so who cares.

Latest posts

Back