Apple Flavor Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarsolek

Reaction score
So I am one for one in successful batches of hard cider. I'm just using store bought, preservative free cider in my mix. In the end it had a GREAT flavor, and after about a month it's real flavor started to come back around.

What I'd like to do though is retain more of the APPLE flavor to the drink. Right now I have a tart, non-bubbly, somewhat apple champagne taste.

Any advice as to keeping the apple flavor as well even though it's fermenting dry? (Yeast changes, additions, etc?)

use lallemand 1187, or if that's what you used, use montrachet. if you used pure cider... etc... we need your recipe to see what problems your recipe has. yeast changes from what to what?

Use an ale yeast, which will leave a little more sugars when fermented all the way. But really the way to get apple flavor back into dry cider is to age it. No, not one month, not two months, not even 4 months. Just stick it away and let it sit.

Also, you don't expect dry white wine to taste like grapes do you? dry mead to taste like honey? so why do people expect dry cider to taste like apples?

Back