Appeal of homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markusface

Reaction score
Right, I'm sitting here after a small party at mine and a night out at a Moroccan restaurant (Sheesha is HIGHLY recommended) and sitting in font of me are leftovers of skittle vodka and a homebrew that was left over after I handed out about a dozen for people to try. After browsing these forums, I keep reaching for the homebrew and never touching the skittle vodka, even though I told myself I would finish the skittle vodka first. Does anyone else find that they value their own brew over other types of alcohol? As I'm writing this post I'm STILL reaching for the homebrew, it's got to be a subconscious thing. Sorry If these seems completely random, but it's just a though that's crossed my mind and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way about their brew *^_^*

...And most people loved my homebrew... I just made sure that I explained to them the process... whether they said they liked it to shut me up, I'll never know :cross:

There is nothing more satisfying than enjoying something you made yourself. Especially when it turns out tasting damn good. Even better yet when a friend trys it out and likes it as well.

Personally I don't drink much hard liquor, but I definately love beer. Homebrewing has also gave me a newfound appreciation for beer in general, and I find myself trying alot more styles of micro and craft brews. (Plus it is the best way to collect empty bottles).

McKBrew said:
There is nothing more satisfying than enjoying something you made yourself. Especially when it turns out tasting damn good. Even better yet when a friend trys it out and likes it as well.

Personally I don't drink much hard liquor, but I definately love beer. Homebrewing has also gave me a newfound appreciation for beer in general, and I find myself trying alot more styles of micro and craft brews. (Plus it is the best way to collect empty bottles).

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Most of my friends drink the mega brews and have no time for homebrew/microbrews. Don't get me wrong. I love a mega brew myself, but am not limited to just that. There haven't been too much in beer that I have thrown away and there are still some as yet untasted styles that this beer wasteland don't carry, that I'll eventually taste.

I love my own brews and for the most part, that's all I drink. I have been finding myself to be taking a critical approach to beer drinking in that I try to see if I can taste any off flavors in any beer I drink. I think this has opened my taste buds to the point of creating my recipies enough to shock them every now and then.

the most beautiful appeal of homebrew to me, as a minor, would have to be the satisfaction of producing a quality product that other people can enjoy. its something you have total control over regarding the quality and taste of the ingredients. and for the simple fact that its something you made. the other would be the fact that its the miracle of life in a bottle, millions of yeasties living eating thriving and multiplying in the span of a few weeks. im getting teary eyed thinking of the yeasts that die just so i can get people drunk.

I have mostly lost the taste for distilled alcohol. It just doesn't do it for me. But there is something about drinking the malt, the hops, all that good stuff rolled into one. I find it highly disappointing anymore when I get defective imports from poor storage. That is something that really never got to me before stepping into homebrewing. There is something very satisfying about kicking back and just enjoying what you have made. Sometimes it just goes through my mind all of the aspects, what I like and perhaps if it is my own recipe what I might do differently next time (haven't had enough time to refine them yet).

I like the fact that when you explain the process to other beer drinkers they are really interested and if you can open the eyes of a Bud drinker its extra special. The taste too me is a ton better than the big breweries to the point that unless its Guiness, Labatts or Sam Adams I wont touch it. Its extremely satisfying to know you created something that not many people know how to do. Plus lets face it, good beer is not cheap and this does save money.

I like the fact that when you open the fridge there more than a couple of different types/flavors of brews to choose from.

So many choices....so little time!

I enjoy handing out HB to friends and colleagues but what I really enjoy is the recipe development and how simply changing one small detail between two near identical brew days can have profound influences on the finished product. We have a vast knowledge base available to us be it in old texts, old journals, recent publications and other homebrewers. It isn't good enough for me to hand a few to friends to try but I like for the discerning palate of fellow homebrewers to pick apart a recipe and help me make better beer.

Back