noob impatience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmgd70

Reaction score
i was so excited to get into this hobby. put my first brew in january 1st. a cherry wheat. i know the hydrometer is the tell-tell sign of fermentation but i couldn't help to be worried and overly concerned since i had no activity whatsoever in the airlock. however, i woke up this morning, 8 days after putting my batch in the primary and i had bubbles. i go to the grocery store and take my son to the park and come back home to beer coming up into the airlock. i was so happy, i thought i was gonna cry. all that noob worrying for nothing.

and not to mention, not even 5 minutes after posting that thread, fedex shows up at my house with a box of goodies from midwestsupplies.com for my next batch. i love it.

hmmm

If beer is coming up into the airlock, you should try to see if you can affix a blowoff tube going into a cup of sanitizer solution. If the airlock gets clogged, you'll end up with beer all over your ceiling and walls.

If you have the 3 peice airlock, Take the cap and tophat out. Put a piece of tubing over the stem coming up and place the other end of the tubing into sanitizer solution or vodka.

isnt anyone concerned that he is just now getting blowoff on day 8 or am I misreading that? Being a noob myself . I would be worried why it took so long.

my temperature was pretty consistent around 65 and thanks for the info irregular pulse

well i wonder if some of the veterans could comment about this, is this normal to have blow off on day 8 of fermentation, I'm just wondering since there's been a few times where I almost didnt use the hydrometer.

First congratulations on your first - 2nd way to be PATIENT.

I would not say that it is normal to not see anything until day 8. However, the beer is not ruined. Yeast have their own schedule and phases that they go through.
Here's a link that I refer to regarding yeast cycles - . Yeast Life Cycle in Brewing Beer

Well, if there wasn't a perfect seal on the lid of the fermenter, some of the fermentation could have been going out around the seal.

So, let's say 2 days before active fermentation, and then 1 day for krausen to reach lid. . .

Yeah, it doesn't really add up. But, when it's time to trasfer/bottle, he can take a reading and taste a sample. Might be great!

First congratulations on your first - 2nd way to be PATIENT.

I would not say that it is normal to not see anything until day 8. However, the beer is not ruined. Yeast have their own schedule and phases that they go through.
Here's a link that I refer to regarding yeast cycles - . Yeast Life Cycle in Brewing Beer

Back