Yet another first mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahlorn

Reaction score
And, like so many, ws the Ancient Joe's Orange Mead or some other order of those words. Bottled last wekk, and absolutely love it (plus is a big hit with my friends).

I was interested in the alcohol conent, but as I had sat on my hydrometer, I was without ability to determine. Now, I know it will vary from person to person, honey, yeast, etc., but does anyone out there at least know a range of the alcohol percent for this brew one may get from it?

tahlorn said:
And, like so many, ws the Ancient Joe's Orange Mead or some other order of those words. Bottled last wekk, and absolutely love it (plus is a big hit with my friends).

I was interested in the alcohol conent, but as I had sat on my hydrometer, I was without ability to determine. Now, I know it will vary from person to person, honey, yeast, etc., but does anyone out there at least know a range of the alcohol percent for this brew one may get from it?

This is a hard question to answer without some facts.
How much honey?
In how much water?
What yeast did you use?

I've brewed mead from 6% to almost 18%.
I think that one pound of honey in one gallon of water is about 1.035. so from that you can figure the O.G. fairly close. The yeast manufacturer should list the attenuation rate which multiplied by the O.G. should give you an idea of the approxomate F.G. which you can use to figure out about how strong your mead is. If you used a wine yeast the yeast company probably lists the alcohal tolerence of the yeast you used.

Honey: 10 lbs
Water: to 3 gallons, just slightly shy
Yeast: Flieschmann's bread yeast

All as per the recipe.
I am still new to this, and as I don't have my hydrometer toreference, the whole O.G. S.G. P.G.-13 correlation to alcohol % is non-existant.

Back