12 Beers of Christmas 2012!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedBeard1 said:
I'm hoping my hillbilly packing made it safely. Did everyone receive my bottles intact?

Was yours the one that had the bottles wrapped in magazines?

jtakacs said:
few more arrived - the carmel quad, the gingerbread porter and something else (i'll post later) - the spiced porter popped during shipping tho, not sure why - packed nicely... only lost a teaspoon so it'll get consumed tonight, albeit a bit flat...

You aren't the first to say a teaspoon or so was lost. That is really weird. You'd think the bottle would burst or it wouldn't. Really sorry. More sorry I don't have a reason so that I do better next time.

RedBeard1 said:
Cracked open a gingerbread porter tonight. Delicious! Had to share it with my wife and she loved it too. It was the red waxed top, is there a difference between that and the green tops?

yes. One was brewed with gingerbread extract. One was brewed with spices. It says on the label but I forget which had which color off the top of my head.

agree... the red top is excellent... even has a ginger bite that hits the back if your throat at the end... and while mine had busted open (why I still don't know) it was perfectly carb'd ... drinking it now and loving it.

great project and dibs on the ginger IPA next year.

Great Juniper Bock. I'm drinking it alongside the Juniper bock from last year. Funny. I drink this years and the flavor is so distinctive, I remember it from last year. However, last years has changed so much that it takes like a completely different beer. Dgez, I think you win the clarity award so far. Georgeous color!

Edit: Both pics are of Dgez's beer.

image-1372374395.jpg

image-1054049440.jpg

All of those that shipped to me so far have been in tact, no popped bottles etc... I have already shipped a few boxes back and will hopefully get a few more out after this weekend, staying good on my word to ship to those that shipped to me.

Im still not happy with the carb level in my beer, Ill do better next year by trying a few different things. I may actually brew it in Feb/March and have it age in the bottles until Christmas comes around again. So again, I apologize for having to spread my shipments out and lack of carbonation.

After seeing all the packing in some of the ones I received, I hope mine don't have trouble! I used bubble wrap and packing peanuts, doing everything I could to minimize dead space in the box and thus prevent movement. If people haven't received mine yet, I'll check tracking tonight when I get home.

I am still following this thread... totally jealous and wish I was able to get in on it. Next year I am in, if this ends up getting run by the same guy please put my name at the top of your mental list!

The delivery guy snuck up to the house and left a package on the porch sometime today. Found it when I took the dog out. Cranberry lambicky ale arrived intact!

Dgez, I think you win the clarity award so far. Georgeous color!

That's courtesy of nearly 3 months at almost freezing temps. Glad you enjoyed it! :mug:

I'll be cracking open someones tomorrow as soon as I get home from work. I so stoked to sit down and enjoy every one of y'alls brews!

Last night was Fruitcake Old Ale. I thought the blueberries came through the most which I really enjoyed. I really like brewing with fruit. Thanks do much for the beer!

Parties tonight and tomorrow so won't get to another until Sunday. Looking forward to it already.

image-1166389429.jpg

IN for next year!

Does anyone have a picture of all 12 Days together? If they're all labeled nicely, of course.

Super interested in doing this next time.

The Saffron Tripel & Strong Saison have been shipped. PMs going out now with tracking numbers! Sorry for the delay.

The last of the beers I shipped appear to be scheduled for delivery today. Most were delivered either yesterday or Thursday. If for some reason you haven't received it, let me know.

Well it's time! Im off work for two weeks so its time to start cracking these open!
I'm starting with the caramel quad because its the first recipe in the book, and I've had them in my fridge the longest.

Bottle: Clean, good fill

Aroma: Wow, I'm getting a big wiff of toasted caramel and to a much lesser extent something I can only describe as maybe dark fruit. If this is a 10% beer, I am not detecting any alcohol in the aroma.

Appearance: Opaque and deep brown/raisin in color. Little head, faded almost instantly.

Flavor: Again wow, tastes just like it smells, but not as sweet as the aroma would suggest. Carbonation is low. Alcohol is present but faintly hanging out in the background. No off flavors

Body: medium-full, low carbonation.

Overall: very tasty, just wish it had a little more carbonation. As I sit here and type, I am feeling a slight alcohol warmth. And now that I look at my glass again, I believe I am drinking this faster than I should. Definately a sipper, would go great as an after dinner drink while conversing with the in-laws, cause you'll need it.

Edit: Yes definately a sipper!

no label on mine... i had labeled some of them to test out a new labeling system... paint the bottle with a "chalk board" paint and use chalk. reusable, but that beer went out before i started it...

so far i've recieived;

1) Caramel Quadrupel (biochemedic)
4) Juniper Rye Bock (dgez) <----- arrived w/ bonus! thanks dgez! can't wait!
5) Fruitcake Old Ale (SavoryChef) <---------arrived in perfect shape and looking good!
8) Honey Ginger IPA (RedBeard1)
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale (Clanchief)
10) Gingerbread Ale (sfrisby)

the old fruitcake ale i thought was outstanding - the next day i had the gingerbread porter which i really enjoyed. nicely balanced, good carb, nice bite and very little hop influence which i think makes perfect sense... the next day i had the honey ginger IPA... i think the honey and ginger wiped out a lot of the hop influence - very good beer with a perfect head, carb, etc... so far i've really enjoyed them all and like mine the least.

i might go with the quad tonight - but i already had a martini and don't want to be on the floor.

i'm going to revisit all of them in january and then save a bottle of each for next year to compare/contrast... hopefully i can return for next year.

I have received

Caramel Quad
Juniper Rye (Thanks for the extra !!)
Fruitcake Old Ale
Crabapple Lambicky Al
Gingerbread Ale

If it was shipped to me I did not get the Honey Ginger IPA, if anyone is not going to ship to me if you could let me know that way I can plan around that and know about what I need to complete the shipping. I do hope I get shipped the Spiced Cherry Dub and the Christmas Gruit, as those look / sound like they should be quite tasty.

I will begin posting reviews of those I drink after Sunday...when I am off for 3 weeks :)

Fruit has shipped. I received mine. I thought the cherry dubbel was a no show for this year. Right?

Edit: nope. It was the weizenbock that was a no show.

Fruit has shipped. I received mine. I thought the cherry dubbel was a no show for this year. Right?

Edit: nope. It was the weizenbock that was a no show.

Right on the weizenbock...and the cherry dubbel is going to just be a dubbel...Pint_destroyer was unhappy with the cherry version(s) and did not feel it was worthy of sharing, so wanted to just send his base dubbel

Fruitcake Old Ale:

Bottle: Nice label, good fill

Aroma: I'm getting spices up front. Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon type spices. Hints of tart fruit.

Appearance: Deep chestnut brown, pencil thin head that dissapated over a few minutes.

Flavor: Yeah, if you were to crush up and juice the month of December, this is it. Spices, a tart fruitiness, sour (not a bad sour, but a slight puckering). To me, the spices are the dominant flavor, followed by a cherry/blueberry tartness. Great finish, the flavor lingers long after your last sip.

Body: Medium-Light. Carbonation is spot on.

Overall: I hate fruit cake, but I love this beer! The flavors are in perfect harmony with each other. While I think the spices are the dominant flavor, they are not over powering. Excellent brew, Great job!

Thistlehair: Honey Ginger IPA

Bottle: Nice label, good fill

Aroma: Honey and ginger up front, faint hop aroma.

Appearance: Dark straw in color. Pretty good clarity. Good head, about a half inch on the pour, faded to a thin layer that stayed for the whole beer.

Flavor: Its all here, a touch of sweetness from the honey, a little bite from the ginger, bitterness from the hops. Very good. As its warming up a little, I'm starting to pick up on a little bit of fusels...or it could just be that ginger bite, I can't tell. I'll try another in a a week or so to see if I still detect it. Just curious, what was the ferm temp on this?

Body: Light and refreshing. Perfect carbonation.

Overall: Another excellent brew. The honey and ginger complement each other very well. Clarity and head were great. Crisp and refreshing!

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed it. Germ temp was mid 60's to low 70's in a dark corner of the back room. Was just trying to talk the wife into a fermentation fridge with the argument that she could also age her cheese. Maybe when we move into a bigger place. I would appreciate some constructive criticism on this, as I can tell some of you have really honed the craft. I have a few ideas, but will hold on to them to see what you guys have to say.

jtakacs said:
gruit arrived today in perfect shape - looking forward to trying it out!

Agreed. So far I've really liked the packaging from everyone who chose to go that route. I'm trying my first tonight & I've been really looking forward to this!!

My first tasting notes--Fruitcake Old Ale

Aroma: BIG nose of spices, rich malt, dark berries, and alcohol aromatics up front. Cinnamon & sweetness dominate first. As it warms, I'm getting yeast notes, other spices ( maybe cloves?), then a sherry-like note with heavy fruitiness almost reminiscent of red wine: blackberries, tart cherries, raisins, and maybe plum.

Appearance: deep mahogany with orange-red glimmers at the edges when held up to the light. Pours a very low, tan head with fairly large bubbles. Head drops away within seconds to a faint rim. Good clarity.

Flavor: deep cherry and caramel malt flavors shine through with notes of spices and an almost sour tartness that lingers in the aftertaste. Hops absent or covered (as expected in an old ale). The strong fruitiness and secondary spice notes add a nice balance to the caramel malt, and that tartness clears the palate for the next sip. There does seem to be a very faint yeast/fermentation off-flavor in the background, but I only got it after warming up and it's very minor. Overall, a great balance of good flavors! My wife likes it a lot :)

Mouthfeel: less body than expected from the aroma, but the moderate mouthfeel allows the big flavor remain drinkable rather than cloying. The finish is thin enough to make me want another drink. Perhaps a touch higher carbonation level might add a hit of liveliness.

Overall: this is a very enjoyable beer. The balance is spot on--tartness and fruit balance out the malt and alcohol sweetness, and the spices add a perfect hint of complexity that rounds out the profile without clashing in the slightest.

Well done, and thank you for sharing!

Abbey Weizen

Bottle: Clean, good fill

Aroma: Grainy, yeasty, bread crust. Bready, I can't get over it! Fantastic bready aroma. Smells like liquid nourishment.

Appearance: Straw color, good clarity with a slight Haze. 3/4 inch head, faded slowly. About a 1/8" head throughout the length of the beer.

Flavor: I can only describe this as liquid bread. Isn't that what beer is anyway? Screw eating, drink this!

Body: light and crisp. Perfect carbonation.

Overall: I just love that bready flavor. When the Egyptians built the pyramids, this is what they were paid with. I'm not sure how this classifies as a Christmas beer, because I could drink this year round.
Fan-effing-tastic!

According to UPS tracking, 3-4 of my packages should have arrived by this evening. Can anyone confirm arrival intact? I'm a bit nervous about them leaking.

Thanks!

Bio,

Im drinking both Gruits right now. Yours from last year is phenomenal. There's a ginger beer component that I find fantastic. Not to take away from this years gruit at all. It too is a wonderful beer.

My point is, to all, consider saving a bottle of each for next year. A year of aging is fantastic!

i'll be saving one of each as well...

thanks for the review dgez... not very christmas-y for sure, but the recipe didn't seem to be... i increased the abv and body a bit and tried to make it a bit darker than the original recipe intended.

Piratwolf said:
According to UPS tracking, 3-4 of my packages should have arrived by this evening. Can anyone confirm arrival intact? I'm a bit nervous about them leaking.

Thanks!

Arrived in perfect condition as well!

Back