need help with kegging and conditioning lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjones1975

Reaction score
my lager brew is now stopped fermenting and i have just bought a 2nd fermenter and a pressure keg my lager is still cloudy is this normal ? and how do i go about kegging and also any explination on this next step would be great thank you for taking time to read....

If you have not done so, raise the beer up 10 degrees for around 24-48 hours for a diacetly rest then…
----------------
Moving to secondary (your new fermenter):
Clean and sanitize the fermenter.
Syphon the beer from primary to secondary ensuring the hose in the secondary is on the bottom so that it is NOT splashing and oxidizing the beer.
Put sanitized airlock back onto the secondary fermenter.
Put back into fridge (or whatever you are lagering in) and drop the temperature five degrees a day until you hit your lagering temp.
Let it sit for however long you have planned.
The beer should be cloudy and will clear during this phase.

Kegging:
Clean, lube, sanitize keg
Syphon beer into keg
Close keg
Purge by hooking up CO2 and pulling release several times
Chill keg
Carbonate
Serve

ok all this i can do but from what you have said i will be needing co2 caps which i do not have i thought it was still priming just like when you bottle from secondry ? is there anyting i can do to carbonate without force carbing ? but this info already have gave me a few points to learn from for next brew thank you j8d mega thx for reply

ok quick side question if i bottle this batch now in 2ltr pet bottles with 2 teaspoons of sugar will it carb ok ?.... that way i can start my next batch plus use 2nd fermenter to make turbo coolers and then be done in time to do 2nd ferment on next batch then keg because im worried that i have drunk to much of this batch already to full keg to max plus i think i might be needing more equipment ?

ok all this i can do but from what you have said i will be needing co2 caps which i do not have i thought it was still priming just like when you bottle from secondry ? is there anyting i can do to carbonate without force carbing ? but this info already have gave me a few points to learn from for next brew thank you j8d mega thx for reply

you can naturally carb in a keg if you want to....but you will still need co2 to push the beer.

ok quick side question if i bottle this batch now in 2ltr pet bottles with 2 teaspoons of sugar will it carb ok ?.... that way i can start my next batch plus use 2nd fermenter to make turbo coolers and then be done in time to do 2nd ferment on next batch then keg because im worried that i have drunk to much of this batch already to full keg to max plus i think i might be needing more equipment ?

so you have dran too much uncarbed unfinished beer to put whats left in a keg?

what equipment do i need to do this right ? i have seen difrent kegs to what i have metal with co2 pipes kuming from it will this be a good investment for me ? and also how much would i be expected to pay for it im drinking a few of what i have in 1st fermenter now and think its ok but my girlfriend wont touch it because it flat so i want to be able to make it to a picky womans taste lol

what equipment do i need to do this right ? i have seen difrent kegs to what i have metal with co2 pipes kuming from it will this be a good investment for me ? and also how much would i be expected to pay for it im drinking a few of what i have in 1st fermenter now and think its ok but my girlfriend wont touch it because it flat so i want to be able to make it to a picky womans taste lol

ha ha you are sunk if you are trying to please a woman lol...There are section on this site that will explain in detail about kegging.. I keg but I am new to it so I am not a good one to ask.

how about giving me the basics from stage fermentation is stopping to finnished product in keg you are already doing it so im sure i could learn alot of things from you and also build up some comfidence when trying it

mrjones1975,

You are asking a lot of questions about the beginning aspects of kegging beer, carbonating, beer, and what equipment you need. Did you try a search yet within the forums yet? I don't want to repeat any info that is already tagged here.

you will need a keg ( most use cornelius kegs, either ball lock or pin lock)...... a co2 tank with a regulator....a tap......beer line.....connectors.

Sanitize your keg and rack your beer into it. I personally cold crash the beer so when I rack it into the keg I can force carb it right away. Once the beer is in the keg, attach the keg lid and turn your co2 regulator down to about 5 psi and put co2 into the keg......shut off the co2 tank and pull the release valve on the keg....repeat this process a couple more times. Turn the co2 regulator up to 30 psi and hook it to the keg and start rolling or shaking the keg. do this for a couple of minutes. Set the keg upright, turn off the co2 regulator and pull the release valve on the keg. set the co2 tank at about 10-12 psi and hook it back to the keg....attach the tap and drink.

If anyone tells you to do it differently, they are probably right.

I dont think the keg i have can be used with co2 tank its just a basic kit i will post a pic of the keg to show you. 1 last question if you guys dont mind i do not have an auto syphen of syphen wand thing is there any other way i can safley syphen the beer without contaminating it but sucking it through ?

This is my keg and my new fermenter. It dont say anything on instructions about using a co2 injector with keg.

SDC10901.jpg

ohio sorry if i confused you all i was told this was a pressure keg but i ave now seen pics of what i should be using and i dont know if my girlfriend will let me have equipment like that not to mention i live in a tiny house than you for link i will try to do best with what i have kinda pissed at myself that i cant do more to make the perfect beer im applying for new house i atleast need a garage to do this right and i realy want to make best of the resorces im using

sorry for no dots and caps im drunk coz its nearly weekend and at a cost of 50% thart i st to at this rate il b able to affort a warehouse to brew in haha

Back