degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutab81

Reaction score
So I have been using a winesaver handpump attached to my air lock and it seems to be working... Lots of bubbles Everytime come floating to the surface.

I have been doing this for 3 days pretty regularly, and always seem to pull out gases.

Is it possible to harm the wine (ie I am pulling out positive gasses) or when will I be done? My arm hurts...

Quote from my latest wine kit "To determine if your wine is fully degassed, fill your hydrometer test jar halfway with wine and seal it with a bung or the palm of your (clean) hand. Shake the test jar vigorously while maintaining a tight seal. Stop and release the seal. If the jar releases pressure, or a "puff" of gas, you must continue to stir. Double check to make sure your wine is at 72-75 deg, or it will require much longer stirring. If the wine foams in the test jar, but does not release pressure, your degassing has succeeded."

I racked to a new carboy, sanitized my 6 gal carboy, then racked back and in between hit it with the drill for another 2 min.

I tried the puff test and it still puffed. This is after daily vacuum with my handpump. If I hand pump over the next 2 weeks during clearing you think I will be OK to bottle or will I make bottle bombs or bad wine?

Latest posts

Back