Looking to buy in bulk any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
I am going to just bite the bullet and make a nice big bulk purchase to save from multiple trips the the LHBS (which is frequently understocked) Here are my thoughts.

55lbs of Extra Light DME
1 lb of Cascade
1 lb of Centennial
1 lb of Northern Brewer
1 lb of Willmette
Several pounds of Crystal 20L
Several pounds of Crystal 60L

I think that this will give me a good ability to vary my coloring and cover a broad range of ale styles. Does anyone have any suggestions that I may be overlooking? I will by other specialty grains locally.

Seems fine to me. The only thing I would ask you is if you plan on moving to partial mash or all grain any time soon. 55 lbs of DME is quite a bit. Since I have moved to partial mash, each brew becomes more and more mash than extract. Nowadays I am only putting a pound or two of extract in each brew and the only thing keeping me from moving to all grain is cost and time. Anyway, I am starting to ramble...the only point I am making is if you get all that DME and then next month you decide you want to start doing partial mash, you are going to have a lot of DME sitting around.

I have too many gadgets for the time being, or so my wife says. I am stuck with extract for a while. I like the results I am having also.

Buy your bulk hops from hopsdirect; from all accounts, a pound of hops from there is usally closer to two pounds.

Do you have a mill? The crystal malt will keep better if it's unmilled, although I've used older stuff and not been able to tell a difference. I wouldn't buy so much that you wouldn't use it all up in a few months, and even then, I'd keep it in the freezer.

I don't have a spare freezer to store in. I have spare room in my kegerator though for my hops. How will the DME keep in bulk. I was going to store the grains and DME in 5 gallon buckets, sealed, and kept around 60F in my brew cellar. Is that good enough.

Thanks for the yeast reminder HB Bill.

jmjbj_h said:
I don't have a spare freezer to store in. I have spare room in my kegerator though for my hops. How will the DME keep in bulk. I was going to store the grains and DME in 5 gallon buckets, sealed, and kept around 60F in my brew cellar. Is that good enough.

Thanks for the yeast reminder HB Bill.
You're welcome...:D

Back