Help me with a first recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haasfilm

Reaction score
First - about me/introduction (you can skip this part).

I'm coming over to this board (longtime member of my LHBS's board - St. Paul, MN. NB). I love that you guys have a separate G-Free forum. My son and Dad were diagnosed with celiac this summer. An overzealous pediatrician was determined to find celiac in the rest of my family. In fact she incorrectly read our daughters test as positive (thankfully the gastroenterologist set us straight). The same doctor said that she'd "eat her hat" if I did not have it. Medical information is great, but bias is strange. After a tense week of waiting for my results I was relieved to find that I was negative. For a number of reasons we've essentially all gone gluten free in our home, with the exception of beer for me. I'm going to experiment with White Labs clarity ferm to reduce gluten in barley/rye beer, but also want to get into gluten free brewing. Eventually I'd like to try some of the home malting and mini mashing of grains. However to get started I think I would like to try an extract recipe. Sounds like some of the malting and mashing of G-free ingredients is a lot trickier than conventional AG brewing.

Help me with a recipe ~

I'd like to make an ale with Sorghum and rice syrup. 5 gallon batch. I'm thinking like a cream ale/blonde. I'd probably like to hop with something like a Willamette or Northern Brewer. My wife is not a hop head like me and I'd prefer to brew something with a milder hop character. I'd also potentially like to add a little honey to the boil. Wondering if a darker honey might help to bump up the SRM? I thought that a pinch of molasses might help with this, but would not want much molasses taste to carry through. Perhaps some malto dextrine for body? I assume this is typically G-free? I used to use US05 a lot, but grew to dislike it in favor of liquid Cal Ale strains. I'd probably use 05, but throw some suggestions my way - please! Anyway thanks in advance for suggested recipes.

If I were to make a blonde again, I would just go with 100% BRS, ferment low, and use a cali ale. I would be looking for something very light, and this should achieve that.

If you want more color, I would use a candi sugar/syrup to get there. Amber would work well and give you some additional flavor in there too, somewhat reminiscent of a bit of crystal 20 or so.

Don't mess with the maltodextrin, save it for a stout or somethign where it isn't supposed to be dry.

EDIT: Oh, and for hops just do a bittering addition, and maybe an aroma one. Make them small so they don't overtake the beer. I know you have already seen my blonde recipe but it sounds right about what you are looking for.

Let us know how the clarity ferm comes out...although it isn't a priority for us, it is good to know people's results.

Good call on the candi sugar. I will definitely bump up the ratio of rice to sorghum. My wife does not seem to mind the Sorghum beers we've tried (Bards & Lakefront), so I'd like to work with it at least in a small amount. Where do typically source BRS? I'm surprised that NB only carries rice syrup solid. I might need to order it directly from Briess in neighboring Wisconsin. As you suggest I'm thinking like a noble hop for bittering and a small aroma addition. I can definitely see the strategy of letting the alpha acid mask some of the sorghum flavor.

Good call on the candi sugar. I will definitely bump up the ratio of rice to sorghum. My wife does not seem to mind the Sorghum beers we've tried (Bards & Lakefront), so I'd like to work with it at least in a small amount. Where do typically source BRS? I'm surprised that NB only carries rice syrup solid. I might need to order it directly from Briess in neighboring Wisconsin. As you suggest I'm thinking like a noble hop for bittering and a small aroma addition. I can definitely see the strategy of letting the alpha acid mask some of the sorghum flavor.

It's actually the hop flavor, not bitterness that masks it. Bitterness seems to do nothing to it.

I get BRS from a shop in Portland, they ship though. brewbrothers.biz

I have been unable to buy BRS from Briess as I can't find anywhere that sells it.
I use Lundberg Brown Rice Syrup and it can be purchased at any health food store. Lundberg.com.
I always add 1 cup of Molasses to all my brews and the molasses flavor does not come through much at all. You'll be fine with 1 cup.

Back