Dreadfuly Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
Good day,

I just brewed a Pale ale that required 2oz of Fuggles and 1.5 of Haulertau. all of the fuggles for 60min and 1.5 at 30.
4.5lbs 2row and .5lb caramel .5lb brown sugar. 1lb liquid malt extract.

I just transferred it into the secondary and it was painfully bitter! Not the good citrus type bitter. I'm talking ear wax bitter. Is there a way to tone down this type of bitterness? How would I make my brew sweeter if it's already in the secondary?

Thanks for the info!

I would think there would be more malt extract in that recipe, at least 3.3 lb. What temp did you mash the grain at? It will taste that way if you steep at too high of a temp. I'm sure most around here will tell you to just give it plenty of time after you bottle. See if it mellows out after 3 months or so.

Strange recipe. How many gallons of water? Looks like your ratio of hops to sugars is way too high. And, if that is in 5 gallons you have very little sugars. Your beer will have little flavor (except hops) and very little alcohol. You might be able to rescue it by adding some more LME (boiled with more water to sanitize) and letting the beer ferment again.

I did a Haus Pale Ale and first wort hopped with 1 oz. It turned out too bitter. The bitterness will fade a little with time but it happens very slowly. I added oak and vanilla soaked in bourbon for 2 weeks to it and a co-worker gladly took it all off of my hands. If you have time and the means, make another batch without the bittering hops and blend them together.

it's a 5gal batch, started out at 1.050 and it has fermented down to 1.010. I was thinking of adding some LME but There's not much room in the carboy. It would have to be very concentrated.

My good beer to bad beer ratio is not doing so well lately..
my buddies are scared to try by brews LOL

I used the hydrometer to measure and came up with 1.050. Perhaps it was the sludge from the hops making it more dense?

How much DME would be recommended to sweeten it up to a more balanced level? I have about 1 kilo of Extra light extract for emergencies..

you would have had to add about 6lbs of LME to reach that gravity.

Just added 1lb of DME. that should sweeten things up a bit..

Should I be pitching new yeast also? It's in the secondary so most of the yeast stayed behind and went down the drain.

it's been in the primary for 2 weeks, I've tasted strong IPAs before but they didn't have this type of bitterness. they were more citrus like.
I'm not overly concerned anymore. I've added the 1lb DME and she's fermenting nicely again. I'll leave it in for another 2 weeks then dry hop with some Cascade for a week.

it's been in the primary for 2 weeks, I've tasted strong IPAs before but they didn't have this type of bitterness. they were more citrus like.
I'm not overly concerned anymore. I've added the 1lb DME and she's fermenting nicely again. I'll leave it in for another 2 weeks then dry hop with some Cascade for a week.

This answer doesn't make sense either. If the final volume was 5gal
and it's too bitter, you need to dilute with more water to make it less
bitter. The extra malt extract will only add some more flavor that *may*
take the edge off. Aging it will decrease the hop flavor and aroma, but
it will take a *long* age to decrease the bitterness. The first month it
may seem like it's getting more bitter, because it will still be attenuating
and there will be less sugar in solution to balance it.

Ray

diluting it will just cut all the flavors, not just the bitterness. Adding the extract will help boost the alcohol and add residual sweetness, both of which will help counteract the bitterness.

The main problem is that he has NO flavor or aroma hops in the beer anyways (only a 60 and 30min addition). so after aging to reduce the bitterness, a good dry hop will be in order. That's what I would do anyways.

Good luck Mob :mug:

Thanks BjornBrewer!!
It's already smelling amazing! :)

Thanks for the name idea JKNAPP..
I will baptize it as EarWax Special Bitter!

Wow!!
Just bottled the brew last night and it tasted/smelled so good!
I can't wait to see what it will be like once it's aged a bit. The extra pound of DME and some dry hopping with Fuggles really enhanced the flavors/aromas. This might be my best brew yet!!

with the added DME and dry hops, is this going to be an IPA now?

Latest posts

Back