Missed OG by 14 points?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlumbard

Reaction score
Well I was brewing the AHS Polincillo Porter and I missed the OG. 1.043 instead of 1.057 or something. Is this even possible in an extract kit? Well I didn't bother thinking about all that and put a few cups of water to boil on the stove and added an extra Brewvint 1% ABV boost and an unknown amount of brown sugar. Seemed like a good idea at the time. :drunk:

Well I ended up at 1.070 (I'm thinking I took my first GO reading before I shook the carboy maybe???)

My Question is, what do you think the odds are my beer will attenuate enough? It's supposed to go to 1.016 I believe.

well i can't really answer the whole question, but you will definitely need to post the type of yeast you used and the rest of the recipe.

As for the OG, you just didn't mix the wort enough. It is nearly impossible to miss the OG with an extract. You just boosted the OG though, the question then becomes did you pitch enough yeast.

I am not too familiar with this yeast, but check out the mr. malty yeast pitching calculator (do a quick search) to find out if that is enough yeast. I am sure you are fine, but doesn't hurt to check. Worst case, do you have another packet on hand (though I don't think you need to).

Yeah, looks like I just barely under pitched. Thanks! I'll update after it finishes out!

Back