Help math whizzes- how much extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm having a blonde moment. I have a recipe that I'm making right now that calls for 6 lbs of light LME and 1 pound light DME. I have two 3.3 pounds of LME which is 6.6 pounds. How much DME should I add? (I'm making a Redhook ESB clone)

6 lbs light LME
1 lb light DME
1 lb 60l Crystal
1 oz Willamete (60 minutes)
1 oz Tettnanger (60 minutes)
1 oz Willamete (20 minutes)
1 oz Tettnanger (2 minutes)

I know I've got to convert but my brain isn't cooperating! 1/2 pound DME? 3/4 pound? I know when someone tells me how to figure it, I'll say "D'Oh".

PS- I'm using a different yeast than planned. I went to rack my Dead Guy clone into secondary (after not having a blip or bubble for days) and the s.g. is 1.026. Yikes! So I put it in a warmer place and the drag over and the jiggling while I was moving it started up fermentation again. So, won't be pitching on my pacman yeast cake, but pitching a different yeast.

Thanks,

Lorena

EDIT (bad calc the first time): I come up with .52 lbs, assuming that 1 lb of LME = 0.8 lbs of DME. If it were me, I'd just add the whole pound of DME and accept a slightly higher gravity.

Cheesefood said:
3.3 lbs of LME = 3 lbs of DME if I remember correctly. I'd go with the full pound of DME.

Actually, 3.3lbs LME = 2.75lbs DME.

But... yeah, go with the full pound.

WAIT! WAIT!!!!!!

As with all story problems i need to know when Train A left Chicago and at what speed.

I just "discovered" Redhook ESB last week. Which is extra shameful, since I actually used to live in Portland.

Anyways, I loved it, and am interested to see how your batch turns out!

I'm with you on that. Redhook ESB, which I tried for the first time a couple weeks ago, was one of those AHA moments for me. I didn't have a favorite beer until then.

I just brewed up what I hope turns out to be a pretty good clone and I based it on the recipe you found.

I actually used 6 pounds of DME instead of the mix it called for and my LBS didn't have Crystal 60L so I split it 1/2 Crystal 40 and 90.
Qbrew puts the OG at 1.056 but I measured 1.050. Not too shabby.

The recipe called for Safale-04 which is what I used.

I threw in the whole pound of DME and when I was done I had an o.g. of 1.056. Since my pacman yeast cake is otherwise occupied, I just used some Nottingham yeast that I had lying around. My plan was to pitch on the yeast cake of my Dead Guy ale clone, but that fermentation was stuck so I couldn't use it after all. Now, I have the Dead Guy warmed up and restarted, and the Redhook ESB clone started, too. Too of my favorite beers!

Latest posts

Back