Cherry Ale ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayfish

Reaction score
I have a light American Ale kit I need to use and thought I might as well experiment with it. I want to make a very cherry tasting ale. I am aiming for some sweetness and a little tartness.

If I use fresh cherries, do they need to ne pitted? If so, is there a trick do doing it?

The kit has nottingham yeast. Will it totally dry out the cherries in the secondary if I add them then?

If so, do I use lactose to retain sweetness? If so, how much and when do I add it?

Is there an advantage to using dried vs frozen vs fresh vs juice? I have 3 pounds of fresh ones but I think I'll need a lot more if I really want it to be a large part of the flavor.

Thanks for looking!

Don't know 100% about the juice, but you definitely want to go with a concentrate/extract when it comes to cherry. I'dd just add it before bottling/kegging.

I have a cherry wheat carbing now.

Used 5lbs of cherries (canned tart and frozen black cherries). Mashed them with a potato masher and heated them to 170*. Let them cool, added to Better Bottle and racked from the primary on top of them.

Kegged the batch 7 days later. It is TASTY!

:rockin:

Don't know 100% about the juice, but you definitely want to go with a concentrate/extract when it comes to cherry. I'dd just add it before bottling/kegging.
It's not "juice" as in mixed with other fruits, but 100% juice from the cherry...you can call it extract.

The label says: Indian Summer Montmorency Cherry Juice, 100% pure Cherry, 46 fl oz., ingredients: Montmorency Red Tart Cherry Juice and Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate...that's all...;)

I used two in a batch of wheat and it tastes a lot like the canned cherry pie filling.

As long as it's sanitary, with cherries some kind of boil (or commercial juice/extract); I have read that if you use natural cherries, once you boil or sanitize them, you kill a lot of the good flavors. As posted by Cpt Kirks, a canned type should be alright, considering they're good for canning and have the good flavors maintained (I don't know if his boil was necessary, but sounds like it should turn out alright).

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll let you all know how it goes. Probabaly going to use the fresh ones I have and supplement with some canned as well. However, it may be more cost effective to go with juice. I'll see what I can find at the stores around here.

I need to add more cherries. Tastes good but its still in secondary adn could use more.

Do they need to be pitted? Will the pits have an effect on the beer's taste?

Thanks

I would personally pit them; I think I read somewhere that the pits can make it bitter...

I was afraid someone would say that. Thanks though. Pitting mutliple lbs. of cherries is a pain...

I made a wheat stout awhile back and racked some of it into a 1 gallon jug.

I bought 1 lb of cherries.. took the stems off, washed them. Then I boiled water to about 160 degrees.. put the cherries in.. mashed them with a potatoe masher and let it steep for about 15 minutes.

Added the cherries to the secondary.

Tasted great.

Latest posts

Back