Solutions for high temp fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
I have an amber ale that I bottled about 2.5 weeks ago. It has a strong alcohol taste on the finish that is really off-putting for me. I used one pack of dry Nottingham yeast, which I probably under pitched (starting gravity 1.066). I let it ferment in a closet for 3 weeks at an ambient temperature of 69-70*, which I now realize was too high of a temp, and it got down to 1.010. Any solutions for getting rid of, or minimizing, the strong alcohol taste? Any chance of it fixing itself with aging in the bottle?

Nottingham is supposed to throw some rather nasty flavours if fermented anywhere near the top of its range so I'd say, if "a strong alcohol taste on the finish" is all you got you've ended up pretty lucky. It's only been in the bottle 2.5 weeks so it'll still, more than likely, be a bit green. 1.066 to 1.010 is pretty good attenuation and it would be quite strong. Yes, Just give it another couple to three weeks, chuck one or two in the fridge, for a few days to a week, and see how it's progressed. It could, more than likely, do with a few more weeks warm conditioning after that before coming into its prime.

If you could include "hot", "slick", and/or "solventy" in your impressions of this brew in its current state, you probably are tasting fusel alcohols resulting from a hot primary fermentation.

Don't know that there's anything aside from time, perhaps, that could be done...

I'm not very good at describing taste other than 'good' and 'bad', but, solventy may be accurate. I've never we experimented with blending before, but could that work with a pale ale or would the off taste from the amber overpower it?

I'm not sure on it, but fusel alcohols do not go away. IE, something that can't be fixed with time.

Hopefully, the greenness of it is adding to your distaste and in a few weeks will at least be drinkable. :)

EDIT: Some people say fusels can diminish over time. Couldn't find any definitive info on that just now though. Good luck!

It wont go totally away but it will mellow with time. give them another 3 weeks or so in a cool dark place, and see if they become drinkable.
You should figure out a way to keep those temperatures down for the first 36-48 hours of the ferment. a water bath and some frozen water bottles is the cheapest way.

Back