Cleaning bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcp197

Reaction score
So, I just cleaned my first batch of bottles with oxiclean and rinsed well. There seems to be some white residue on some of the inside of the bottles. I'm guessing in the direction that they were laying. I've rinsed repeatedly to no effect. Has this happened to anyone else and will starsan take care of the problem?

Can you get at it with a bottle brush? What ratio oxy to water was used? I'd probably try hard to get that off first by rinsing and scrubbing, then do star san.

rcp197 said:
So, I just cleaned my first batch of bottles with oxiclean and rinsed well. There seems to be some white residue on some of the inside of the bottles. I'm guessing in the direction that they were laying. I've rinsed repeatedly to no effect. Has this happened to anyone else and will starsan take care of the problem?

It's probably oxy film and you need to get it off or the taste will wind up in your beer. Use a bottle brush and hot water.

1 scoop and a sink full of water. Looks like in heading out to buy a bottle brush.

A scoop in a sink full sounds reasonable, scrub that gunk off and bottle that delicious brew.

If I ever end up with a film or just about anything in a bottle I simply soak it. Run some pure RO water into it and let it sit. The pure water with no minerals has always been able to draw whatever was stuck right out for me.

Then proceed to storing or sanitizing.

Back