Copper Verdigris or Copper Clhoride from wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANewrBrewr

Reaction score
There seems to be little info on this subject, so I figured I'd ask. Last night I was brewing my Fall seasonal, Chocolate Pumpkin Porter, and I realized that my copper immersion wort chiller had a blue or green color to it. Just assuming it was harmless, and having a few homebrews at this time, I just tossed it in the wort for the last fifteen to sanitize and carried on. However now I'm reading the danger of Verdigris...some say I'll be fine, some say I'll die!! FYI-This wort chiller is normally used as a pre-chiller in a salt bath, and I know high amounts of salt will react with copper forming, copper chloride. Is my beer safe? It's only a 5 gallon batch. :confused:

You posted this same post in the same forum two minutes apart. The other one has replies, so this one probably should be deleted. Good luck!

You posted this same post in the same forum two minutes apart. The other one has replies, so this one probably should be deleted. Good luck!

Yeah sorry I spelled Chloride wrong and then couldn't figure out how to delete the old post. I'm working in on it.:mug:

Back